53: What?

It was that time of year where it was getting quite chilly and you would need a couple of layers to keep warm. The cold, dry wind causing your sinuses to stuff up, constantly needing lotion for your hands, wearing a hat to keep your ears warm- some people actually enjoyed such weather. Others did not. "Others" being Elle.

Her hands were shoved in her pockets as she walked up the porch to the house. Opening the yellow door, she stepped inside, taking her hands out of her pockets and blowing warm air from her mouth in them.

"Ready?" Jack asked, running his hand through his curls.

"For what?"

"The funeral?"

"You're hilarious," she looked at him, wearing a smile. "Oh you're serious. Yeah, I'm not going." She shrugged, her smile disappeared. Why would she want to go to the funeral of the girl who tried to get her killed, and just wouldn't shut her mouth?

"It won't take that long," he walked closer to her, making sure nobody was around to hear what he was about to say. "I don't think anybody even liked her anyways." Elle scoffed, as she already knew that nobody liked Sarah. Jack glared at her, knowing that's what usually gets her to cave; she can't stand people staring at her.

"Fine whatever, let's go." She shoved her hands back in her pockets and opened the door once more as she stepped outside and began making her way towards the 'cemetary,' Jack following close behind.

"Woah, slow down there." He chuckled, catching up to her as she walked quickly.

"Just trying to get this over with." She huffed, looking at the street ahead of her, seeing the small cemetery in the distance.

"May she rest in peace." Gabriel finished the 'ceremony.' Oh please, no way in hell he actually believes she went to 'heaven.' Elle thought to herself. She dug her heel into the ground as they stood for a moment of silence. It was unbearable, nobody wanted to be there. Of all the people they lost, why was she the one who got a funeral? Sure, they had a small ceremony for Tyreese, but it wasn't like this. It was quick. This funeral, Sarah didn't deserve it, at least Elle didn't think so.

Usually in movies, there's some sad song playing over a scene of the crowd slowly getting smaller at such an event- this could not have been further from that. Everyone just walked away to continue on with their lives.

"Where are you off to in such a hurry?" Elle asked Carl. He shrugged before responding.

"I don't know." He avoided eye contact. Elle could see right through him and knew he was lying, but she didn't push any further. She didn't have to know where he was at all times, especially now that he has all these new friends. She stood there and watched as he ran off.

"You alright?" Maggie asked, putting a hand on her shoulder.

"Yeah.. I'm fine." She turned to her.

"You guys make any friends?" She asked, referring to both her and Carl, who was now nowhere in sight.

"He did. I only met them," she sighed. "He makes friends easier than I do and I don't know how because he is the most anti social person I've ever met- besides Daryl of course."

"Well, give it time. I'm sure you'll make friends, you're a very likeable person; I liked you the second I met you." She spoke, wearing that small smile she always seems to have. Elle gave her funny look, the first time Maggie met her, she was unconscious and bleeding from a gunshot wound. She returned the smile before she pulled her in for a hug. "You know what I mean. I love you."

"You're so warm." Her voice muffled by Maggie's coat. Her chuckles vibrated off of her. "I love you too."

"Alright, well see you later." She waved before making her way back to the house, having no idea how to occupy herself.