Picnic Date

It was around 2:00pm in mid-July as the brunette laid out a green checkered blanket on the grass, the raven-haired girl slowly making her way up the hill with a basket full of snacks in hand. Tori turned her head to Jade and smiled, taking a seat on the blanket and patting the spot next to her as a welcome for her date to join her. Jade sat the picnic basket down carefully and took a seat across from Tori, making her frown a bit. The goth scoffed.
"What?" Jade gave a crooked smile, eyeing Tori from afar. Her date softly nudged her with her foot.
"You didn't sit next to me," Tori teased, continuing to frown. Jade laughed, taking a sip of her coffee she had bought on the way.

This was their second date— Tori couldn't even believe that Jade had agreed to go on their first one together, let alone wanting to go on another one. She smiled, fiddling with her thumbs as she looked up at the girl in front of her. She never thought her and Jade would end up like this given their history. Her thoughts were interrupted with a crumb cake being offered, looking up at Jade who was smiling sheepishly. Tori gave a soft chuckle before taking the crumb cake into her plate.
     "Thank you, Jade." The Latina took a bite, her eyes darting over to a bush rustling behind Jade. She narrowed her eyes a bit, setting her plate down. "Do you see that? What's over there?" Jade raised a brow, turning her head over her shoulder to see what her former frenemy was talking about. Before the goth could reply, Tori had already made her way over.
     "Vega?" Jade stood up to follow, slightly irritated by her date's curiosity. "Just leave it alone, you don't know what could be in there." She grabbed Tori's arm as they approached the bush. Tori looked back at Jade and rolled her eyes, smirking as she removed her arm from her grasp.
     "Aren't you curious?" She chirped, kneeling in front of the bush and pulling the branches back, revealing a small black kitten.
     Jade's eyes widened slightly as she kneeled down to meet Tori, eyeing the kitten that had spiked-up fur. Tori let out a soft giggle as she looked at Jade. "Look, it kind of acts like you." She smiled, taking note of Jade and the kitten having a stare-down. Jade huffed in annoyance but couldn't help from smiling as the brunette turned away. "Where's your home, buddy?" Tori removed her cardigan and cupped the kitten in her hands despite the soft hissing it gave her in return. "Spicy aren't we?" She wrapped it up in her cardigan and caressed it's head softly, looking back over at Jade. "It doesn't have a collar." She frowned, looking back down at the kitten who had started to purr.

     A soft chuckle escaped Jade's lips, her eyes softening as she watched Tori handle the stray. She couldn't help but look at her in awe— how gentle she was being, talking to it so lovingly. She liked that about Tori; her selfless acts and how much love she seemed to have in her heart. "You're really something, you know?" Tori turned her head to have her eyes be met by Jade's, smiling warmly. Jade's comment definitely caught her off guard, but she wasn't complaining.
     The two girls slowly rose and made their way back to their picnic, settling in as their new guest got comfortable. They spent the remaining moments of their date talking about school and things they planned to do on their next date. Tori hummed at the thought, grinning shyly at the mere mention of a "third date".  Eventually they packed up and started to head back down the hill, Tori holding the kitten still in her cardigan tightly as they reached Jade's car.
     "What should we name it?" Jade asked, Tori looking up at her with a confused look on her face.
     "We're keeping it?" She asked, a smile starting to form. Jade laughed, nodding her head while she unlocked her car.
     "I mean yeah, I figured we shouldn't leave the thing out here." She opened her door, looking up at Tori who had been staring at her excitedly. "What? I'm not heartless." She smirked, getting into her car and starting the engine. Tori got in after her, the kitten sound asleep and purring in her lap. She looked down at the kitten before turning her attention back towards Jade, practically beaming with joy. 

     I guess this means they'll be spending a lot more time together.