That One Night

Seeing them together seemed to pain the brunette every second of everyday. Tori Vega stood by her locker, glancing over at the raven haired beauty known as Jade West and her messy haired boyfriend known as Beck Oliver making out by the vending machine near the janitors closet. She huffed a bit, shutting her locker as she put the books she was carrying into her bag and made her way to class.

   A few weeks prior, Jade showed up at Tori's doorstep late one night in tears. Tori, of course, was extremely confused. The two teens never really got along and in no way went to each other for help on personal issues. However, seeing Jade outside her door with her mascara running and her cheeks flushed with red made Tori feel somewhat scared and angry. She never understood why, but seeing her not-so-close friend stand in front of her obviously in pain made her full of rage for whoever made her feel that way. Still kind of confused, Tori let her in and Jade automatically walked over to the red cushioned couch and sat down, not saying a word as she sniffles and wiped her face with her sleeve. Ever so calmly, Tori sat down beside her and placed a hand on her knee in a comforting manner.
   "Are you alright?" She questioned, looking at the side of Jade's face. Jade sighed and placed her hand on Tori's, causing her to raise her eyebrows. She wasn't expecting her to take her gesture so kindly.
   "I know we don't really do this kind of thing and I get you're busy but.." the blue eyed girl stopped to tuck a strand of her hair behind her ear and bite her lip nervously. "I didn't know who else to go to."

   Tori smiled at the thought. Jade could've gone to anyone else in their friend group— why did she choose Tori? She put in her earbuds as she walked up the school stairs, reminiscing back to that day as she went.

  A few hours had gone by as they talked and Tori had brought in some cocoa. Apparently Jade was a wreck because her and Beck were in a big argument and it didn't end so well. Beck got angry and ended it by suggesting that maybe they should just break up. The thought of that made Tori furious, but of course she wasn't sure why. Why did she care about Jades problems? Since when was this a thing? Soon enough, the time rolled around to 1am and the girls were up discussing pretty much anything they could think of. It was a new feeling for Jade, a feeling that made her think she actually had a close enough friend.
   "It's getting pretty late. Wouldn't your parents wonder where you are?" The brunette asked as she put the mugs in the dishwasher.
   "Uh, no. It's fine. I'll get going though if you wanna get to bed." The raven-haired beauty gathered her things and walked towards the door, being stopped by a tug on her sleeve. She turned around to face a sleepy Tori staring back at her.
   "You don't have to go you know. You seemed pretty upset and I doubt you'd want to be left alone. Plus it's really dark and crazy people are out at this time." Tori smiled softly, bringing the taller figure away from the door. "I can make more cocoa." Jade chuckled and shook her head, yawning a bit.
   "Yeah alright, Vega. I'll stay. But only because I want to."

-An Hour Later-

   Tori laid on the couch while Jade set up a sleeping bag on the ground next to her. It was quiet for a moment before Jade broke the silence.
   "Tori?" The brunette smiled softly at the sleepy voice Jade let out. She hardly called Tori by her actual name, but it made her fill up with happiness. She couldn't understand why it made her so happy, but it definitely did.
   "Yeah, Jade?"
   "Um.." she swallowed hard and shuffled around in her sleeping bag. "Can.. can you come down here?" It was silent for a few minutes before Jade felt a body lay next to her. Her back was to Tori, facing the wall where the TV was placed. She sighed and closed her eyes just to open them again in surprise as she felt Tori's right arm wrap around her, her face nuzzling into Jade's neck. Anyone would've thought that Jade would've snapped her neck right then and there, but she actually enjoyed it. She felt safe and didn't want to be anywhere else at that moment.
   "Goodnight, Jade."
   "Night, Vega."

   Tori's thoughts were interrupted as she bumped into the one and only, Jade West. Great. They hadn't talked much since that day and Jade was doing her absolute best to avoid her. 
   "Jade can we talk please?"
  The goth tried moving past her, but Tori was quick enough to grab her wrist. She started charging towards the janitors closet and pushed her inside, closing the door behind her and standing in front of it so Jade couldn't leave.
   "What the hell, Vega? Get out of my way!" Jade exclaimed, trying to move past the shorter girl.
   "Jade what is going on? You haven't talked to me in three weeks since you came over. I thought we were becoming closer." Tori's voice broke in the middle of her sentence, hurt by the sudden mood swings Jade had to offer. Jade seemed to soften up a bit, stepping back.
   "Look, it's not personal, alright?" Jade rubbed her arm nervously and looked Tori straight in the eye, trying to intimidate her as much as she could which clearly didn't work. Tori just rolled her eyes and scoffed, shaking her head.
   "You know what, Jade?" She started, taking a step towards the goth. "Ever since that night, I wished every day to hold you once more." Jade widened her eyes in shock, opening her mouth to say something but was quickly interrupted. "You don't get to do that. You don't get to mess with my head. I have tried being nothing but nice to you since the day we met but it doesn't matter anyway— you clearly don't want–" She got cut off by Jade cupping her face and kissing her quickly, backing up as soon as she did so. Tori stood there in surprise, staring in awe at the girl in front of her.
   "Geez, Vega. Learn how to stop and breathe for once." She smirked, making her way out of the janitors closet, leaving a wide-eyed Tori left alone.