23. Athena Promachos

Watching the pure power of Apocalypse should make Erik feel something. It should make him remember that there are people down there, suffering and crying out for their families as he did. Yet, his heart remains utterly blank as the pyramid rises in the distance, the peak bare.

Everything he built for himself came tumbling down in a matter of seconds. Could this too crumble beneath the cruelty of humanity? What would Ria think?

No. His mind can't help thinking of her, despite the time spent apart. Even with his family, he thought of her, thought of her when they died. Wondered if she would help him avenge them. When Charles had brought her up, he knew the telepath could see the sway she still had over him, the power she still wields even if hidden halfway across the world, wherever she may be.

Knowing her, Ria would stay far, far away from En Sabah Nur's war. It's useless to even think of her.

A large owl swoops down from above, its wings three times longer than a human being's with intelligent eyes that sparkle in the sun. It had been waiting while Charles sent out Apocalypse's message, swirling through the sky above them. The animal would be captivating to Erik if his first thought were not of his own daughter who would have loved this beautiful creature. It does not occur to him until the owl lands beside them, its bones crunching and shifting into that of a woman's, that it may be dangerous.

The woman—ethereal in beauty—smirks as her lips form, something sinister lurking behind her gaze. She eyes all of them before she strolls over to Apocalypse. The man claiming to be a god falters as she says, "Thought you could start without us, En Sabah Nur? Or have you forgotten just how you came back?"

Erik glances down at Charles. The telepath's face looks drained of all energy from his mass message as his eyes watch the woman, fear flicking in his gaze. When he looks up at Erik, he purses his lips as if in defiance. Not that Erik cares anymore.

"How could I forget?" Apocalypse replies. "Welcome."

The woman hums under her breath before she looks around at Apocalypse's group of horsemen. Her lips twitch as she looks at Erik before her grin widens. "I wouldn't worry about resistance," she says as she turns back to Apocalypse. "I've taken care of it."

The mutant king does not look convinced. "How so?"

The woman's face tightens. "You dare question me?"

He shakes his head.

The woman lets out a sinful laugh as she steps over to the edge of the cliff, looking out over the city. "I've sent my best warrior to deal with any resistance. Should any humans rise up and fight against their fate... Well, let's just say, they will receive no mercy."

Power radiates off the woman in ways Erik cannot quite fathom. The others must feel it too as none of them talk, only stare.

"Ah, here they come now." The woman motions across the city as smoke billows up from hidden alleyways. "I can hear them."