27. Death Can Set You Free

 How Ria survived the years she spent consumed by rage and grief while obeying Athena's every command, Erik will never know. The strength she has must be limitless, but Erik wouldn't be able to bear it. He would fight at every turn, destroy himself on his path to vengeance, but he watches Ria silently comply.

Her only act of defiance seems to be her prayers. Athena would barely leave her be, even when Ria had apologized for her behavior, which had disgusted Erik, and was welcomed back into Athena's open arms. Ria never smiled, though—never gave any indication of feeling anything but hatred. Athena knew it too, mocked her for the facade she put up of acceptance.

But whenever Ria ate, she would never direct a prayer to Athena or the war gods for success as she had done in past memories. Instead, she planted a flower and whispered a song.

As she steps up to plant yet another seed, she sighs as she looks out over the cliff. Athena had long ago stopped watching her grow her small garden, allowing the girl a moment of solitude to mourn in the place her village died, overlooking the water that had since covered the bloody field, its waves crashing against the edge.

"Please," she whispers as she pats the soil. "Please, just...I beg you. Please."

"It's time to go, Alexandria." Ria glances back as Athena stomps through the ruins, her expression twisted in anger as she dons her battle gear. "Enough of this ridiculous rebellion."

"I may pray to whomever I want," Ria replies as she looks back at the soil and waters her small garden. "It would be disrespectful to not do anything."

"I am the only respect you need, now get up."

She does not.

"Now!" Athena grabs ahold of Ria's arm and rips her away from the garden. "We have work to do."

"I'm not finished."

"Yes, you are."

"I'd rather not be smited—"

"I will deal with whoever it is you pray to and with your mediocre shielding." Athena spits out while Ria simply stares ahead, her eyes never looking at anything. "Now."

"No."

"Yes!"

"No. I'm not finished."

"Darling—"

"You ripped my family from me, the least you could gift me is a moment of peace to mourn them," Ria snaps, her crystal beginning to glow. "A moment is all I ask for."

Athena sneers. "You don't deserve a moment."

A bitter chuckle slips through Ria's lips as she shakes her head. "I came back to you, Athena. I have done everything you've asked, so, for once, listen to me over your own war-torn mind." Erik cannot tell if Ria has a plan or has simply reached a breaking point, Tears line her eyes, but her voice remains utterly steady, almost as if daring the goddess to push more. "This is not your territory, Athena, you cannot make me do anything here, not with Poseidon so close. Leave me be."