CHAPTER IV

DAY THIRTY-TWO

Addison stood in an ankle-deep stream with Tián, dressed in nothing but a loose pair of pants. Tián wore an exercise bra and the same pants, as well as two padded black bands that encircled the entirety of both forearms.

"So what's the deal, Tián?" Addison asked, assuming a fighting stance. "You cut me from my first patrol last night, then bring me out here today? Why?"

"What fighting styles do you know?" Tián countered, raising an eyebrow.

"Well... uh... none. But—"

"Yes, yes, I know, you fought the monsters and dragons and all that," Tián interrupted. "But that was with your powers. Here, you have to hide them. That means you must learn to fight."

"Right. Okay. So... um... what am I learning?"

"Kung fu," Tián answered, executing a tiger strike that knocked Addison into the stream. He landed with a grunt and moaned, "Aw, come on!"

Tián watched as Addison struggled to his feet and then instantly swept his legs out from underneath him. "Karate," she continued.

Addison landed in the exact same position, momentarily winded. "Wait..." he said, getting up groggily. "Just let me—"

"Taekwondo!" Tián sent a side-kick into Addison's chin, knowing his enhanced durability would protect him—but also that her enhanced strength would make it hurt.

Addison stumbled back, stunned.

"And vovinam!" Tián struck Addison's upper body several times with the side of her hand before finally leveling him with an elbow to the face.

Addison dropped like a rock, landing on his side. He coughed and rolled over onto his back, staring up at Tián.

Tián put her hands on her hips. "You're staying here indefinitely, so that gives us plenty of time for you to master all four. It should only take five years or so."

"FIVE—?! No. No way. You're crazy." Addison began to stand again.

"Fine!" Tián dropped and locked Addison in a chokehold, pulling him back to the ground. "Perhaps wrestling, then?"

Addison gasped for breath and almost instantly tapped out.

"No?" Tián pulled Addison to his feet and jabbed him twice in his kidneys. "Boxing, maybe?"

Addison doubled over. "Hold on," he wheezed.

"Or Arnis!" Tián rolled in the stream, grabbing two fallen bamboo sticks from the bed, and popped back up, paddling Addison with them.

"Stop! Stop!" Addison begged, covering his head with his hands. "I give up! You're right! I need training!"

Tián stopped, exhaled, and tossed the sticks down before putting her hands on her hips. "I heard you scrapped a bit back at Zoo Phoenix," she stated. "I thought you'd put up more of a fight."

"Well, I'm obviously outclassed here," Addison grumbled, wincing as he rubbed his stomach.

"Obviously." Tián smirked. "I'll let you know when you're ready for patrols, Addison. Until then, we train."

-

After a long day of training, Tián and Addison finally returned to the house, where they found Annie sitting in the kitchen, scanning through files projected from 1349's bellybutton. "Hello, children," she said distractedly, flipping to another file. "Fun day?"