Facing reality

"I'm not a good person, I'm the villain. I know that." Sasha sighed, grabbing her arm as she glared at her feet feeling the shame and guilt of everything she had done wash over her. Standing outside the demolished newtopia kingdom which once held the trauma of everything they've gone through. 

"You're right. You're not a good person. But you're not a villain." Anne stated bluntly, Sasha looked up at Anne who was making sure to keep a distance from her. 

"You can be a better person Sasha. It just depends on how much you're willing to work for it." 

Sasha sighed looking to the side, understanding everything Anne meant by that. She never tried to be a better person before, she never wanted to. But now, with all the destruction and despair she's caused around her, she could see clearly. She wasn't the person she thought she was. 

"I really think you can do it Sash." 

Sasha slightly smiled, did Anne really still believe in her? After everything? 

"I just won't be there to watch." She finished her sentence. 

Sasha's smile instantly dropped, another weight falling onto her shoulders. This weight wasn't stress due to a battle that needed to be won, it was fear. Something she'd never allowed herself to feel before. She had completely forgotten about Anne's testimony earlier, thanks to the huge battle with King Adrias, and Marcy's death in the destruction of the kingdom caused by Sasha's ignorance. 

"What-?" Sasha said, her eyes widening with fear. 

"Sasha, I can't do this anymore. Our friendship is never going to work, after everything you've done to me, even if you become a better person. I won't be able to move past it, I can't look at you without feeling angry and betrayed." 

"We've been holding onto something unattainable and toxic for so long, can't you see that? All of those years we've spent being friends were filled with toxicity and manipulation, I was never really your friend Sasha. I was your puppet." 

Sasha froze knowing every word Anne had said was true. She did see Anne as something she could control, she was projecting her lack of control in her own household onto Anne. She wanted to feel in control for once, she wanted to make someone else hurt just like she had been for so long. She never took into account what that was doing to those she was affecting. 

"I'm sorry." That was all Sasha could say, she didn't know what the right words were. The part of her that caused all this pain wanted to retaliate, she wanted to be in control, because she was losing that sense of stability.

"That's not enough." That was all Anne said before walking off with the planters, Sasha fell to her knees the reality of everything hit her like a brick. 

The trio was no more.