Chapter 22 - Corruption

I was whole heartedly convinced it would be easier to win the lottery than it was to make Viola believe I was alright when I told her I was unwell

"You promise me you're okay?"

I could hear the worry in her voice through the phone.

"Yes, just a little under the weather. Nothing some rest won't fix" I answered

"Well I should come check on you tonight, I'll make you soup and..."

"Viola" I cut her mid sentence "seriously, there's no need to fuss"

"But-"

"Uh uh"

"Fine, but if you're not better by tomorrow morning then I'll be marching straight over"

"I don't doubt you will one bit" I chuckled

"Feel better Callie" she wished before we ended the call.

I placed my phone into my pocket before glancing at Achilles that sat on the wooden dining room chair.

I didn't like lying to Viola one bit but I couldn't chance her coming here while we had things to sort out.

I was willing to do absolutely any thing I could to protect Viola.

"Sorted?" Came Achilles voice

He stood from his sitting position and tightened his tie. His face was once again stern leaving no trace what so ever of the gentle side he seemed to show in the early hours of this morning.

"Yeah" I answered

"Come" he ordered while gesturing towards the door.

I listened and followed him out of the house locking the door behind me. He stood holding the passenger door open for me in silence.

I sat down and slammed the door shut beside me. I had a terrible sense of deja-view.

I didn't exactly know where we was going or what we were doing but I knew I didn't have a choice in the matter.

The drive was in complete silence, that was at least until we came to the automatic gates in front of a unusually large house where I let out an audible gasp.

I stared at the beautiful place in awe as we drove up the drive way.

However I stopped allowing myself to admire its beauty when I remembered what sort of activities this man took part in to be able to own such a place.

He rounded the car and opened the door for me. I stepped out but remained rooted to the spot beside the car.

"Don't you think it's a bit much?" I accidentally spoke aloud.

"Of course I do but I have appearances to keep. Besides what good is having money if it's just sat in the bank?" He questioned me back

"Well it depends if it's you're money to spend in the first place" I retorted