Chapter 3: The Shadoukirā

Three days have passed since Kai was banished from the Kingdom. He eagerly walked into the unknown believing that he would have enjoyed this newfound freedom.

...

...

...
He was wrong.

Kai was currently running through the forest with a pack of mutated wolves chasing him. He was covered in cuts and bruises, and his clothes were tattered. His sword was broken leaving him unarmed and without a way to defend himself. Heavy panting could be heard as he ran between the trees, hoping to evade his pursuers. It had been days since he had a proper meal and his body was in terrible condition. His ears were wringing and his body felt numb. Soon, he could no longer hear the growls of the wolves and his eyelids became heavy. He was about to fall unconscious.

Before he lost his remaining energy, his eyes landed on a tree that had the kanji for 'Kill' etched into the trunk and a small bell hanging from a branch.

Strangely, he heard the bell chime as he ran under it. He kept running for a few more minutes until he noticed that he could no longer hear the wolves. He stopped and looked around but saw nothing. The wolves that were just chasing him had vanished. He wiped sweat from his fore head and released a sigh of relief. He was calm until he heard an unfamiliar voice. " Don't move." The voice belonged to a female. That's when he noticed that there were four people in black cloaks pointing senbon at his throat.

He swallowed the saliva gathering in his mouth as his thoughts were racing. ' What-? Who-? How did they get here?' The cloaked figures had seemingly appeared out of thin air. He wasn't given the chance to ask questions, as he felt the pain of the senbons piercing his skin. He lost feeling in his entire body as darkness took over.

...

...

...
Kai slowly opened his eyes and was slightly surprised to see the change in environment. He was currently in a large room that had many paintings and kanji enshrined in the walls. It was illuminated by a few candles placed around though there wasn't much else. Kai tried to get up though was surprised when his body did not move. He released a groan as he  felt intense pain in his chest and back. ' Paralysis?' He thought as he felt the pain grow stronger.

He then noticed movement and turned his eyes as much as he could to see the cause. To his surprise, he saw a woman sitting next to him with medical equipment. She had silver hair and red irises and wore a white, black and red kimono. He took notice of the golden floral patterns on her kimono and her sun shaped hair ornaments. The stoic expression she held was somewhat intimidating causing Kai to expect the worse.