My heart burns without you

💎

Not so long ago, within a distant kingdom, deep within the daunting woods, within an not-so ordinary cottage was an oven.

Now, this little oven was filled to the brim with a combination of dough, icing and other delicious delights, however as sweet as this may seem, the true events are far from desired.

"Huh-?" Gingerbrave opened his eyes wearily, as his entire body was boiling inside and out. The sheer act of opening his eyes would have brought out tears, except by the time they would escape him, they had already dissipated.

Gingerbrave, despite this jarring scenario, was no ordinary cookie, and by the power of his bravery, forced himself upright with a wince.

Only then, will he have seen the hellscape before his very eyes.

The cookie could only exhale in shock as all of the other cookies was already in disarray, except only a handful. One of them, a cookie with a familiar magical garment, another with a hood. He knew these two very well indeed.

"Strawberry cookie! Wizard cookie!" He gasped, doing what he knew best and ran towards them both. This was all too familiar.

"Ging...er brav...e...?" Strawberry cookie looked up, her body lifting for just a second as she exhaled. She was still alive.

"Don't worry, Strawberry cookie, we'll get out of here together!" He hauled her up, a little crackling sound as he did.

"I'll help wizard cookie, please save the others-!" Strawberry cookie called. Her voice was incredibly soft, especially from underneath her hood.

"Right!" Gingerbrave gave a nod, and that was that. Onto the next cookie, and the next, all the way until every cookie was saved. As he always said,

"No cookie left behind!"

💎

Just how did so many of his friends get caught into this situation? Surely he knew? Unfortunately, at it stood, he couldn't recall.

The next cookie was small, with blonde puffy hair. A little crown rested permanently above his head. He was unresponsive, but breathing. Perhaps that was for the best.

The one after was another cookie, except, by the time that Gingerbrave arrived, they was no more than soot. A burnt cookie, with no life to spare. An empty husk, ready for consumption by the cruel entity that had caused this.

Gingerbrave gave a subtle nod before going to get the other cookies. One had a missing arm. The other, their whole body was in pieces, crumbled to the very core. The distaste would never leave Gingerbrave's heart as he continued on.

A cookie crumbled.

A cookie that could have been saved.

A cookie wh-

"Gingerbrave!"

The soft voice ripped the cookie from his thoughts like an eraser to a piece of paper. Sudden and unexpected.

"Strawberry cookie?"

Thump.

"It's Muscle cookie! We can't lift him..."

How long was he spacing out for? With a look around, he could only see a few cookies now. None of them was alive, but that meant that all of the others had made it.

Everyone except...

"I'm coming!"

"AND HEAVEEE-!" Many groans echoed across the oven.