24

Mary

I fly through the front door of my cabin and rush straight to Lani's bedroom. I find her zipping up her suitcase, the sight caused my heart to drop. She throws her head over her shoulder and gave me a quick look of shock.

"Mary?" Her eyebrows furrowed.

"I'm sorry." My eyes water. Hands clutching the doorframe. My walls crumble.

"Don't be." She looks away from me and tilt she thread bashfully. I nearly trip over my own two feet to lift her head with my hands.

"I've tried to keep a distance between us. I hurt you more than I should have. I've been a fool, Lani. I thought keeping you away from me was what needed to be done." I spew quickly.

"Why?" Her wide eyes melt into mine. She places her hands on top of mine that are on her cheeks, warming them. She melts completely under my gaze, like she always does.

"Why do you want me away from you so badly, Mary?" She asks me with vulnerability cutting through her tone. Her eyes never leave mine expectantly.

"So when you left it wouldn't kill me." I confess.

"Oh, Mary." Her eyes close tightly. Forehead hitting mine, her body falls into me weakly.

"I thought that if you hated me you wouldn't leave hesitantly. You wouldn't miss me. You'd move on with your life, it's working." I tell her, watching her eyes slowly open back up.

"Nothing you could do or say would make me miss you any less." Her hands tighten on to mine.

"Is forever too much to ask for." I whisper so softly that it's almost incoherent.

"Mary.. I don't understand." She asks, confusingly.

"Stay. Be here, forever. We can do what you said. I-I can get better, your love will make me better. I just need patience." Her eyes immediately begin to tear up. Body rocking uncontrollably. She takes in deep breaths.

"Are you asking me what I think you're asking me." I place my forehead back onto hers.

"Stay." I beg.

"Mary." She cups my cheeks, voice in a warning tone.

"I was talking to my dad." I start off slowly. She turns towards me with widened eyes. Now making her way towards me, she grabs both of my hands in hers and lifts.

"He uh.. told me some things." Awkwardly trying to get my words out as she didn't speak. Our eyes stay locked on each other.

"He said that it would be possible for me to become mortal." I murmur was my head
drops. Not for long, she quickly reacts, lifting my head up in her hands.

"Human?" She whispers with wide eyes.

"Like you." I nod.

"So you want that?"

"I want you. I'll do anything for you." It was true. I couldn't let her leave me here. For eternity, I'd beat myself up over letting her go. I'd wait until we found each other again.

"I don't understand." She shook her head.

"I want to be with you forever. You are all I want, and I'm sorry it took me so long to realize."" I say.

"Baby." Her soft brows furrowed.

"Eternity-" I start, but get cut off.

"Isn't long enough." She whispers. My head flies up quickly in shock. My eyes start to blink rapidly, trying to register ever words in my head.

"Make me like you." She says.

"You-"

"Marry me." She begs with tears in her eyes.

"You want .. you want me to marry you?" I stare at her in shock.

"You. Are everything to me." She says every word slowly.

"I'm everything?" I could barely get my words out. She pushes me back against the bed.

"I could spend the rest of my years with you. Or eternity, it doesn't matter to me- as long as you're with me. I need you to be with me, forever. I want you forever, Mary, baby."

"You love me?" I ask with a small voice.

"So fucking much." She growls, hugging me tighter to her.

"I love you, Lani." I squeeze her tight.

"Say that again." She mumbles into my neck.

"I love you." I whisper. She places a kiss to my neck and I can tell where this would lead if I didn't quickly interrupt.

"There's no time." I shake my head quickly, pulling away from her and walking towards the door. I look back expectantly and smile at my bride to be.