Chapter 9

Caden's POV:

"Would you stop squirming?!"

"I'm not comfortable!"

"I don't care! Stop it!"

"Guys, not to be rude, but we are trying to sleep," Hector said from the other side of the tent. 

Max huffed and rolled his eyes when I moved again to find a more comfortable spot. I just wasn't finding the correct spot, though it could be that I was uncomfortable sharing a tent with Max and not being able to wrap my arms around him and hold him. My fingers were twitching and I had to tightly hold my blanket so that I wouldn't reach over and grab him. I moved onto my side, then my other side, then onto my stomach, and then onto my back and by then I was sure that Max was going to murder me so I stayed still. But sleep never came to me. Instead, more memories came flooding in and I had to continue to try to think of others things so I'd stop. This isn't a step forward, this is a pause. The only reason I was sharing a tent with him is because we broke mine and they thought Diego should have his own. I didn't know why Max didn't insist on sharing a tent room with one of them but I wasn't complaining. Though it probably would've been easier to control myself if he did.

"Are you asleep?" He suddenly whispered so low that I almost missed it.

"No," I whispered back. "I can't fall asleep."

"Me either."

Silence came once again and you could feel the tension between us. I was feeling more uncomfortable and sleep still wasn't an option for my mind. I was literally stuck. I hated to say it, but we really were so close yet so far away.

"Remember that time we went to the movie theater? And we almost ran into some of your friends?"

The memory was clear as day. It was one of my favorites. It was technically our first official first date. I had just convinced Max to actually go and spend some time with me in public and he agreed only if we went to the next town over so we wouldn't bump into anyone. Well, that went downhill when we arrived because some of my old friends were there to see the same movie we were going to see.

"You got so upset," I chuckled.

"How else was I supposed to react?"

"It wasn't my fault though," I reasoned. "They didn't even see us anyways."

He huffed and grumbled. I loved when he threw little fits like these, it was adorable. I never told him that though and would instead roll in my eye in fake annoyance. I feel like he thought I didn't appreciate him when really, I went through hell these last two months without him. It felt weird to not text him and annoy him. I definitely wasn't prepared to suddenly have him out of my life like that.

"I'm going to bed," he mumbled, turned on his side, and fell asleep within the next few minutes, leaving me alone to my thoughts once again.

"Didn't I tell you to make sure you packed everything?" Max grumbled as he moved his mess to the side to give me space to sleep.

"Maybe I did it on purpose," I said with a wink, making him blush and glare at me.

He laid down and covered himself with my favorite blanket, sighing in content at the warmth it provided. I chuckled and shook my head, preparing my side of the tent and laying down, covering myself with another blanket and grabbing him, pulling him to me and ignoring his small gasp. I fixed it so that we were both under the blankets and my arms were around him, loving the moment we were in. He laid his head against my chest and traced random figures on my arm. I closed my eyes in bliss and felt my breath become even from how relaxed I was.