Chapter 12

Caden's POV:

It's too damn quiet. Hector and Diego decided to go to the store to buy some puzzles or some other shit and Max was still in the shower. I had nothing to do except wait for the food to finish cooking. I was bored and while I was tempted to go see Max, I knew he wouldn't be too happy about it. I couldn't help but scoff. Whenever we did stuff he always made sure to at least put on some boxers so that when we woke up I wouldn't be able to see anything. It's not like I'm blind at night, I've seen it all. But I never pushed him or bothered him about it. It was my own simple annoyance.

"Crap," I mumbled when my phone vibrated in my pocket and I remembered a certain meeting I had tonight.

From: Victor

Still on tonight? I gotta talk to you, I'm being serious.

To: Victor

If you keep texting me then no we aren't on. Max is already suspicious. Stop texting, I'll be there.

Truth be told, the only reason I mentioned alcohol is because I figured that'll help me knock out Max in time to be able to sneak out. Our room has a window I can sneak out of, I just need him to be fast asleep. Getting out of the cabin is one problem that I might've just solved. My other problem is how I was going to get to our meeting spot. It's not like I can take one of the cars, plus that would definitely wake them up. I can't ask Victor to pick me up either because I still don't know if I can trust him enough to let him know where we are staying. 

"Hector? Diego? Where did everyone go?"

I looked up from my phone to see Max standing there. His hair was still damp and he had changed to some black sweats and a lose black shirt. A normal outfit it seems and I would've thought nothing of it. That was, until, I saw that his shirt was slightly bigger than his normal shirts. He saw me staring at his shirt and a small blush coated his cheeks, confirming my suspicion. That shirt is one of mine.

"I wanted to be comfy!" he shouted which caused me to smirk and raise an eyebrow. "Stop making that face."

"Come try the food," I said, changing the subject to not embarrass him further. "It's hot but I already took some out on a spoon to try so it should be warm right now."

He sat on top of the counter and grabbed the spoon, tasting the food as I watched him carefully. Cooking was something I enjoyed to do and his opinion was the only one I really cared about. I didn't care if a million people hated my food, as long as he deemed it good, I would accept it. He handed me back the spoon and pointed at the pot as if to say to give him more.

"It's hot," I warned.

"Some food is better hot," he said and blew on it a few times before eating it. "Mhm, much better. It's hot, but better."

"So, how's this weekend going so far? Everything you hoped for?" I asked sarcastically, chuckling when he rolled his eyes at me.

"Oh yeah, cause I totally planned for your jerk friends to crash the fun which made us come to a family cabin."

"They aren't my friends anymore. I don't even think I would've considered them my true friends even back then."

"I don't believe you."

I scoffed, fully turned to him, and asked, "What does that mean?"

"I'm just saying, if you don't consider them as friends, then why are you meeting up with Victor tonight?"

Shit. How the fuck did he know about that? He would've had to go through my phone or something. But when? I've had my phone with me the entire time. Unless this is a trap and he's waiting for me to fall for it. But if I ask what he means and play dumb then there's the chance that he'll get mad because he actually does know. What the fuck am I supposed to say?

"You haven't changed," he said and got off the counter.

"Max wait-"

"Alcohol? Really? So you can get away, right? I can't believe you."

"Max-"

"Why did you even come this weekend?"

"Please, just listen-"

"No! Why should I?"

"Max! Let me talk!"

"He hurt Diego! He hurt what we had! How can you still be talking to him?!"

"How can you still be talking to me?"

He looked at me with hurt when I said that, shock filling his body to the point where he froze. He blames and hated Victor, yet I am the same as Victor. I was just as involved as him. Why is he forgetting that?

"I am the one that started it all. I hurt everyone, me. Not just Victor, so don't make me seem like I am better than him."

"But you are. You are trying to fix the mess you made and what did he do? He went right back to that fucking group. And now it looks like you're doing the same. So, maybe I am wrong and you are just as bad."

"How did you find out?"

"Why should I tell you?" he spat out and began to walk away but I quickly grabbed his hand to stop him.

"I thought about telling you, but I knew you didn't trust me. I knew you'd react negatively and I figured that I'd tell you after I went. Why tell you something and have you be upset when it may be nothing in the first place?"

"You're right, I don't trust you. But it still would've been better to find out through you than through him," he said and snatched his hand away, walking into the room and closing the door.

"Him?"

"Hey! We're back! Is Max still showering?"

"Diego, I need to go somewhere. Is it okay if I take the truck Hector?"

Diego looked at me confused but the longer he looked at me, the more it slowly became clear where I was most likely going. I expected him to be mad, annoyed, or even a little scared. But instead, he gave me a small smile, nodded his head and looked at Hector. With slight hesitation, Hector gave me the keys and simply told me to be careful. I turned off the stove in the kitchen, grabbed the keys, and left. 

Fuck a meeting tonight, I'll show up right now and demand answers. Why the hell is he texting Max and for how long? I knew Max didn't go through my phone, even if he had the opportunity to, he wouldn't have. But why? Why would Victor text him? What would he gain? 

"What the fuck!" I yelled in frustration and smacked the steering wheel. "God damn it!"

I needed answers and I'll get them one way or another.