Chapter Thirty Two

Chapter Thirty Two

      Why do these things keep happening to me?

      What is wrong with me?

      First my mother, now Rodger.

      Both are my fault.

      Why couldn’t I have just died when I had tried the first time? Then none of this would have happened. My mom would still be alive, Rodger would be okay, he would remember.

      I am such a screw up.

      I stare blankly into the water below me, my toes grazing the water as I hang my legs over the edge.

      My running feet led me to the beach, and to a dock. I have been sitting here for hours now and the sky is beginning to darken. My phone is shut off, sitting on the dock beside me and I have been tempted to throw it into the water in front of me but I don’t.

      I couldn’t return. I couldn’t walk back. I couldn’t face what I had left, what I had ran away from. Who I had ran away from.

      I shut my eyes, letting the breeze fly through my hair and over my skin. I lean forward, wanting to feel the water surround my body, for it to take the air from my lungs, for me to sink to the bottom and feel the sand.

      Soon I slide off the dock and into the water. It wraps around my body, the warm feeling presses against me. I let my arms extend to my sides as I sink, not moving them nor my legs as I fall below. Soon my butt connects gently with the bottom and I lay my back down, blowing the air from my nose, making bubbles rise to the surface.

      When I have opened my eyes, the salty water stings them but I keep them open. What is left of the sunlight beams onto the water, making it shine at me, as if calling me to surface.

      My lungs begin to burn, my mouth opening, wanting air to breathe.

      Could I end this so easily? Could this be the end? I wouldn’t have to return. I wouldn’t have to go on. I wouldn’t have to live.

      No. You can’t end this. It is your fault that Rodger is in there, not remembering anything. You can’t leave him.

      I quickly kick my way to the surface, gasping for air when my head has broken through the surface. I push myself towards the ladder of the dock before making my way up and collapsing on the wooden dock. My hands sit on my stomach and I lay on my back, gasping for air as the little bit of sunlight shines on my skin. My clothes cling to my wet body, their grip on me tight.

      When I have caught my breath I sit up slowly and grab my phone. I slowly climb to my feet and walk to the end of the dock, stepping down onto the sandy beach.

      Time to face the music.

      “Brooklyn!” Wendy sighs in relief as I open the door of his hospital room. She hurries forward and throws her arms around me before pulling away just as quickly. “Why are you all wet?” she asks, her voice soft and slightly worried.

      “I went for a swim.” I croak, my voice scratchy.

      She searches my face again, as if wanting to find something I’m not showing but then she stops, unable to find anything and steps back. I look over her shoulder and find the others looking at me. Everyone. Even the most important pair of blue eyes.

      Wendy turns around and finds what I am looking at. She smiles sadly and then looks to them.

      “Let’s give them a few minutes.” She announces softly and moves me aside from the door as she opens it, gesturing for everyone to follow her.

      As they pass I meet their eyes, some force smiles as they pass and I try my best to return them. When Thomas passes, he puts his hand on my shoulder and gives it a slight squeeze before he leaves, shutting the door behind him, leaving me and Rodger alone.

      We are silent for the first couple of seconds, I can’t even meet his eyes, I force mine to remain on the floor under my feet.

      “They say I have amnesia. I can’t remember anything beyond July 20, 2011” he tells me softly and I nod, not able to speak. He is quiet for another second but I can still feel his eyes burning into my head. “So you lived with us… that’s how we met?” I nod again, afraid if I do anything more I will break and run out of the room again. “You can come sit down.” He laughs.

      I look up and find him smiling slightly. I take a few hesitant steps forward and take a seat in the chair beside his bed, twiddling my fingers, keeping my eyes on them.

      “Listen….. I don’t really know anything about the past, about us….. about you….. and I don’t want to sound like a complete ass hole… but… maybe…. Could we put whatever we had before…. On hold for a while? Until I get my memory back?” he asks, his voice soft and gentle.

      Everything inside of me breaks and tears fill my eyes without warning. He continues to watch me and I quickly nod before standing quickly and walking to the door.

      “Brooklyn….” He begins and I hold in a sob, even the way he says my name is different. Everything about him is different, everything is different.

      I hurry from the room and down the hall again where I find everyone waiting. When they see me they all stand, taking in my tear-stained appearance. A sob escapes my throat and my vision blurs so I cannot see.

      Arms wrap around me and my knees wobble, making me lose my balance and fall to the floor. Their hold on me makes my fall gentle and slow and they follow, pulling me against their chest. He murmurs words in my ear softly and I continue to sob into his shirt.

      “It’s all my fault.” I all I can whisper.

      It’s my fault that this happened to him. It’s my fault he doesn’t remember anything he did in the past year. And it’s my fault that the boy I love, doesn’t remember me or anything we had.

Hey guys!

So you may have seen my message that I sent out to my fans mentioning the new book\author  called World War III, but if not you should really check it out! I am hooked! The author's name is JelloYello, hope you like it as much as I have!

The dedication goes to DreamersBelievers because of the AMAZING cover she made! And a special thanks to Call-Me-Bell for the AWESOME Banner! Thank you so much guys! :)

But, I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter, my heart is still pounding and I want nothing more but to start on the next chapter so I can continue finding out what happens, much like you guys! :D

Thank you so much for commenting\voting\reading. It really means alot and makes my day.

Again, I hope you liked it! And don't forget to check out World War III, it's worth your time!

Thanks again! :)