Chapter Eleven

"Come on, B. We are going to be late!" Dalton yells from the bottom of the stairs while I throw my backpack over my shoulder.

"I'm coming!" I shout, tucking my hair behind my ear as I leap down the stairs.

"Looking nice." Dalton whistles teasingly, making my self confidence climb slightly and I smile.

"Not so bad yourself." I nod at his clean appearance for the first day of school.

"Do not forget, our first game is on Friday." He reminds me for the eightieth time in the past two days.

"I won't, I promise." I say assuringly as we scoot out the door, finding the others have already piled into their vehicles. Just as I am about to make my way to my own, Tanner pulls his car into the drive.

"Want a ride?" He shouts and I nod, glancing back to the boys.

"See you guys there?" My eyes meet Rodger's, he watched me out his truck window before backing out past Tanner and leaving the driveway.

*

After both Tanner and I have gotten our schedules, locker numbers, and layout of our new school, we discover that we have three of the six classes together. I breathe a sigh of relief, comforted that he will be with me half of the day, and during the lunch hour.

We make our way through the hallway, eyes following us as we moved past our fellow students. Two new kids had made their way into the school, and people were obviously curious. Girls had their eyes glue to Tanner, whispering amongst themselves as they take in how attractive he was.

He shot smiles their direction, and slapped hands with a few faces he found to be familiar until we have found our lockers, which were three apart from each other. After we have unloaded the extra things from our bags, we slip into our first hour class and take our seats.

*

The day passes quickly, discovering that I shared two of my classes also with Dalton, as well as lunch hour with three of the Parker boys.

Tanner and I had been waved over by Dalton, forcing us to claim two seats at their table. Most of the company included a few members from the football team, their girlfriends, and a few random faces I had not met until then.

I take a seat in my last hour, greeted by a warm smile from the girl beside me as I arrange myself into the desk. Slowly, students make their way into the room, filling all but a few seats in the back. The bell rings, the teacher's desk in the front of the room remaining empty.

The door is pulled open, and Rodger slinks inside, his eyes finding the empty desk much like my own had down seconds before. Relief flashes before his face as he makes his way to one of the empty seats in the back.

"I'm Monica." The girl beside me says, her brown eyes meeting mine.

"Brooklyn." I smile and she twists in her seat to face me.

"We lucked out and got Mr. Tucker. He is hardly ever in his classroom, and when he is, the football channel is on, and he's passed out." She informs me, explaining the empty desk and the room full of only students.

She goes on to introduce herself, allowing me to know that she comes from a home with two highschool-sweetheart parents, two siblings, and has been in a relationship with her current boyfriend for over two years.

Her bubbly personality was infectious, making our conversation full of laughs and positive topics. She asks about my family, and why I moved here, which I am easily able to explain with the 'my father works away from home' line, and don't mention my mom.