Chapter 13

I screamed into the pillow.

"Why?" I asked dramatically into the sky, or 'god'. I was really turning religious.

For weeks I have been looking for the man who was killed in the store, just so I could tell his daughter everything that happened.

How he was trying to save mine and his lives and how he died a hero. That he was sorry for I don't know what and that he cried while he told me he loved her.

Sometimes I found myself randomly thinking about him and what could've happened that day.

What if he succeeded in calling the police?

I would've been at home right now. My dad would be working or watching tv and my mum would be fussing around, cleaning and cooking.

Cody would be in his room playing with his toy trucks or watching scooby-doo.

What about the shop keeper?

The worse thing about all of this was not knowing.

I don't know what they're doing right now. Is my dad okay? Is my mum okay?

Have they gotten over the fact they'll never fine me or are they still looking?

Did either of them fall into depression? Did my dad quite his job? Have they packed up my room?

Would I ever see them again?

I sighed.

My mind is on over-drive.

There's just so many things that don't add up right now.

"Hey." Colton smiled as he kissed my cheek.

"How was work?" I asked as I flipped through the magazine I was reading.

"Good." He replied vaguely.

"Good." I mimicked his voice, smiling as I turned to him. He was trying not to smile.

"You know, you never did tell me what you do for work." I told him.

Colton looked outside the kitchen window.

"It's raining." He stated, as if it were amazing.

"Wow." I replied sarcastically.

"Let's go out." He said suddenly.

I looked at him and then outside and snorted,"Colton, you just so bluntly told me it's raining."

"So?"

"So, it's raining." I laughed and he smiled.

He should smile more often.

He came over to me and snapped my magazine shut.

"So?" He asked me again.

I rolled my eyes and held my hand out.

Colton gladly accepted it and lifted me from my chair.

"I want to show you something."

_____________________

"Are you sure we know where you're going?" I asked cautiously.

We've been driving through the woods for at least an hour. It was pouring down and we didn't look like we were set for a destination.

In fact, it didn't look like there was a destination around here.

"Yes." Colton chuckled.

"Is this the part in the movie where you kill me?"