Chapter 2: Honeymoon

They spent three beautiful weeks enjoying the warm sun and sandy beaches of Rio. They stayed in the penthouse of the nicest hotel there, where they were treated like royalty. Together they went snorkeling, ate out at fine restaurants, and went out dancing. Most often, however, they made love. Together at last, they couldn't keep their hands off of one another. After eight years of being apart, they were glued to each other's sides. When their honeymoon was finally over, Ian took his wife to a private villa in rural Tuscany.

Lauren had left all of her clothes and possessions behind in Washington DC. It shouldn't have surprised her that her husband had arranged for her closet to be fully stocked before they arrived home, but it still managed to shock her. She turned to him and put her arms around his neck.

"How did you know?" She asked, smiling.

"You think I don't remember what you like?"

Her smile faltered slightly, and she looked away from his gaze, embarrassed. He gently cupped her face in his hands and moved her face to look at him.

"Don't do that."

"Do what?"

"Blame yourself. You made a mistake. It happens."

"That mistake almost cost me you!"

"But it didn't, did it?"

She huffed slightly. "No..."

"So why are you still feeling guilty about it?"

"I'm good at feeling guilty. I've had a lot of practice."

"Well stop. This is supposed to be a joyful time for us. Do you really want a little guilt to sour our honeymoon phase?"

She sighed. "Alright. I'm done."

"Thank you."

She smiled and kissed him. "You're welcome."

He looked at her mischievously. "How about we christen this new bed with a little afternoon delight?"

She laughed. "Did you seriously just say that with a straight face?"

He pulled her into his arms and dipped her close to the ground. "Surprised, love?"

When she recovered from feeling disoriented, She grinned. "No. Just amused." He kissed her, and she giggled- a high pitched sound that didn't seem to belong to her at all. The carefree sound only served to excite him further, and soon they were making love in their home for the first time.

Ian appreciated every contour of his wife's body. Every movement inside of her made every nerve ending in his body go live with electricity. He loved to watch her face as she got closer and closer to the earth-shattering climax that he knew would rock her body. When they both orgasmed together, it reinforced the deep bond between them- both physical and mental. As Lauren lay her head on her husband's chest, she couldn't help but smile. They were starting their lives together. For once in her life she had chosen to love and trust someone else completely. Every other time it had blown up in her face, but this time it was different. She could feel it. This was a man who truly loved her despite her deceit and betrayal. He was willing to look past all of it and learn to love her all over again, and to her that was absolutely beautiful.

"What are you thinking, love?" He asked, tucking a lock of hair behind her ear.

"About how beautiful you are."

"I think you mean handsome, don't you?"

"For the outside yes, but I was talking about the inside."

"Ah. And what do you find so beautiful about my insides if I may ask?"

She looked up at him, smiling. "Your willingness to forgive me. Your love and passion. The joy you have when you're with me or Declan. There are a lot of little things about you that I love."

"I could say the same for you."

"Oh really?"

"Oh yes. I love your mind. You're so smart and clever. And of course you're the most beautiful woman I've ever laid eyes on. You're mysterious and sexy, loving yet tough. And even though you have issues trusting people, you gave me the most precious gift of all: yourself. To have and to hold. To love and to cherish. Till death do us part." He kissed her forehead and she blushed. Seeing the pink hue in her cheeks was heartening, and it made him smile wider. He gently stroked her cheek.

"I love that blush of yours too."

"Really?"

"Oh yes. It's absolutely breathtaking you know. Like an ocean sunset."

She lifted her head to look at him. "Did you really just compare me to sunset?"

"Yes. Why? Not romantic enough for you?"

"Exactly the opposite. Do you want some nachos to go with that cheese?" She said with a laugh.

"I thought you liked it when I was cheesy."

"Oh, I do, don't get me wrong, but I have my limits."

"Do you, now?"

"Mmhmm."

"You know I love testing limits." She shot him a halfhearted dirty look.

"If you try and pile on more cheesy romance on top of that I'm leaving the room."

"I didn't know you were so opposed to cheese."

"Well now you know." She said, kissing his nose.

"You learn something new everyday." He murmured.

"Yes you do. Now let's get dressed and get something to eat." She said, rolling onto her side. He sat up and bowed to her.

"Your wish is my command." She laughed and pulled a blue pinstriped shirt and tan pants to match from her closet and quickly got dressed. After he finished dressing, they held hands as they walked downstairs to grab a late dinner. After a hearty meal of Alfredo pasta with chicken and broccoli, and a cannoli for dessert, they went back upstairs to the master bedroom, exhausted from the jet lag and switching time zones. Lauren curled up next to her husband under the covers and kissed his cheek, closing her eyes quickly as sleep befuddled her mind. The last thing she heard besides Ian's steady breathing was a whispered "I love you" in her ear as his lips brushed over her cheek.