Chapter 3 - His Butler, Summoned

Victorian Era

It had been two months since Ciel had sat in his father's lap and listened to the Queen's letter. He had begun learning about the culture and history of wizarding societies from his father, just as his mother was teaching him etiquette and dancing; something the child abhorred with the majority of his being.

"Young master, is there something the matter?" Tanaka asked from behind him. Ciel nearly jumped at the head butler's voice before turning to face the man. Ciel smiled at Tanaka, the butler was always kind and would listen to him if his parents were away.

"There are so many people here, are they all wizards, or just some of them?" Ciel asked looking around the room that they were standing in. The two were by a large window and watched the lords and ladies whirl and dance across the floor to the music. Ciel had never been to a ball before, and he wasn't too certain he enjoyed it. Tanaka smiled at his little master.

"Your father and mother do not truly enjoy such large gathering either, young master. However, they always appear to as to do otherwise would be rude. Not to mention that there is a saying that one will catch more flies with honey than with vinegar," said the butler to the boy. Ciel looked thoughtful for a moment before smiling again.

"Then, I shall be honey," said the boy giggling as he ran off to find his father. Tanaka smiled at Ciel's back. The boy had so much energy, and it was refreshing to see the boy but energy towards something other than his studies. The child was bright and caught on well, but he was also mischievous and loved to play games with anyone who would agree. Tanaka went off to the kitchens to make sure everything was as it should be.

Ciel, meanwhile, was searching through the large gowns and tailcoats for his father. Even though he was seven, Ciel was smaller than average, and it held him at a disadvantage in circumstances such as this. Finally he spotted his father with a rather portly man, who looked a lot like Vernon Dursley, Harry Potter's uncle. Ciel faltered for a moment in fear before shaking his head at his foolishness and heading towards the two men.

He was Potter's uncle, not mine, and he can't do anything now,Ciel told himself. He'd begun thinking of Harry Potter as someone else, someone dead. He was Ciel Phantomhive, son of Vincent and Rachel Phantomhive, and he was loved. He put a sweet smile on his pale face and went up to his father.

"Father, I've been looking for you. Tanaka said something very important to me," said the little boy before pretending to notice the portly man for the first time. His smile widened and he bowed. "Hello, sir, I'm Ciel Phantomhive. I'm sorry if I interrupted you and Father's conversation," he said to the portly man. On closer inspection, there was only their size that man Vernon and this man similar; he had red, balding hair, a red nose and he sweated in the warm ballroom. The man smiled at him and flushed.

"Not at all, little lord. Your father and I were just conversing about our good works," said the man. Vincent nodded and smiled at his son. The dark haired child looked like a doll in his outfit. He wore black shorts with matching socks and boots. His shirt was snow white and his overcoat was a sapphire blue velvet, with a matching ribbon tied around his neck.

"What did Tanaka tell you that was so important, Ciel?" Vincent asked his lovely son. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the novae riche man eye his son with a blush. Vincent kept his irritation buried and focused on his son. Ciel looked at the portly man for a moment before motioning to his father to come closer. Vincent smiled, knowing his son was excluding the stranger. "He said I should be honey," Ciel whispered into his father's ear, as he stood on tiptoe. Vincent let out a chuckle as his impish son set himself back on his feet and gave a satisfied smile. The little quip having been said. Vincent noticed a look of envy on the fat man's face; he'd wanted to be included. Vincent felt the irritation bubble up and pushed in down.