Chapter 20

"Nik, can you answer the door?"

I groaned. It had been a few weeks since the premiere and now it was the day before Thanksgiving. We had decided to have it here at Chris's house and I was beginning to get a little overwhelmed. I opened the front door, stopping in my tracks, "what are you doing here?" I watched my mom at the front door, wrapping me in a hug. "Mom?"

Angela laughed, "Chris invited me for Thanksgiving. Is that okay?"

I shook my head, moving to the side to let her in, "of course it is mom. I'm glad you're here." I turned around to see Chris leaning in the hallway with a smirk on his face, "thank you."

He pulled her in for a kiss, "you're welcome love." He put up his hand before pointing to the door as it opened again.

I turned back to the front door to find Allison entering, "Al!"

She laughed, "you're the only one that I will ever let call me that." She pulled her old friend into a hug.

I looked back at Chris, "you did this?" I placed my hands on his chest as he smiled down at me.

"I wanted you to have some people from home for you, while you transition to this being your home."

I wrapped my arms around his torso, "you're the best. Thank you." I turned back to Allison, grabbing her hand, "come here." I dragged her into my bedroom, closing the door, "what are you doing here?"

Allison looked at her confused, "what do you mean? Chris asked if I wanted to come since it was your first Thanksgiving here in Boston and I said sure."

"Al. I found a ring. Is he proposing? Is that why he invited you guys?"

"What?!" She grabbed her friends hand, "I have no idea what you're talking about." She hit Nikki on the arm, "did you go snooping?"

I shook my head, "I found it on accident." I opened the same drawer I found the ring and searched the drawer but I couldn't find the box, "it was right here. Emerald cut. Simple. Beautiful. Perfect, Al." I closed the drawer, leaning back on the dresser, "would you tell me if you knew?"

Allison laughed, "probably not. No. But I honestly have no idea about any ring. I can't believe you found the box and opened it. You're awful."

I sighed, sitting on the edge of the bed, "I kind of am, aren't I?" I groaned, laying back on the bed, "I guess I just need to know moving out here was worth it. That's he's as ready to settle down as I am."

Allison sat on the bed next to her friend, "I think him insisting you move out here and branch out your company is pretty serious Nikki. Just chill out. He loves you."

I nodded sitting back up and grabbing her hand, "I know. Thanks. And please don't tell him I found the ring. Though he may already know which is why he moved it." They both were laughing when they looked up to see Chris enter the room.

He crossed his arms in front of him, "what are you two hens clucking about?"

I looked Chris, laughing, "hens?"

He shrugged, "I'm going to hear about that later aren't I?"

We both laughed as I stood up, "yup. Where's my mom?"

"I showed her to a guest bedroom. She's taking a nap. Not before she suggested the room would make a great nursery."

I laughed, "sorry about that. Surprised she didn't say something about there not being a ring on my finger yet first."

He rolled his eyes, "oh she did."

I looked back at Allison and then up at Chris, "and what did you say?"

He shrugged, "that when we're ready there will be. Come on."

I sighed, looking at Allison who followed us out of the bedroom.

*********************************

****Chris POV****

I watched Nikki drag Allison into our room so I turned to Angela, "let me show you to a guest room. I cleaned the sheets and everything for you." He opened a door, letting her enter first. He pointed to the side, "and you have your own bathroom."

Angela grabbed his arm, "thank you. I'm glad you guys finally sorted everything out. I always wondered when you guys would get a clue."

I laughed, "yeah. I know. I'm sorry it took so long."

She shook her head, looking around the room, "this would make a good nursery you know. You planning on giving me grandchildren Christopher? I don't have any other kids."

I nodded, laughing again, "yes. Of course."

She nodded, "good. I have something for you." She opened her bag, pulling out a ring box, "this was my mothers. I don't know if you have a ring or if you've thought about it. But if you wanted to use this one, you could. Nikki has always loved it."

I accepted the box, opening it to find a gold engagement ring with a round diamond and a gold rose on either side. "It's beautiful. And I have thought about it. I have it all planned out. Thank you Angie. So much." I hugged her before putting the box in my pocket, "it's perfect."

"Good. Do it soon. I know my daughter and I know she's getting anxious after all this time. Now I'm going to take a nap."

I laughed, "yes ma'am. Let me know if you need anything."

******************************************

After Nikki fell asleep for the night, I couldn't so I went to get something to drink and found Allison on the couch watching tv. I leaned against the frame of the doorway, "couldn't sleep?"

Allison shook her head, "no. I didn't wake you, did I?"

"Not at all. Hey, can I show you something?" I walked over to the piano bench, grabbing a ring box and sat next to Allison. I handed it to her, "how's this?"

Allison opened the box not to find the ring Nikki described but a different one, "this was her grandmother's ring. Did Angela give this to you? Nikki loved this ring when we were kids. She would always sneak it out of her moms jewelry box."

I smiled, taking back the box, "yeah. She said I could use it if I want. I'm gonna have it cleaned and replace the diamond I think. But it's good?"

Allison nodded, "it's perfect Chris. She'll love it. You know when you're going to do it?"

I got up, putting the ring back, "I do." I closed the piano bench, pointing at it, "this stays between us."

She laughed, "don't worry. I won't say anything."

"Thanks." I nodded, winking at her before going back to bed. I felt Nikki scoot closer to me as I slipped into bed next to her. I wrapped my arms around her hearing a small content sigh, making me smile as I closed my eyes.