Chapter 3

Chapter 3 - John

I sat on the floor with fifty other students in the darkened room watching, “Back to the Future II.” I felt jumpy and had been fighting the impulse to flee back to my room since I arrived.  I had a good spot in front of the couch, if I could only relax. Jayden had saved the spot for me. This week he'd been walking me to my classes when his were nearby. I had never been too popular in Texas, and I didn't quite know what to do with him. Jayden was the epitome of popular.  The just-going-to-be-myself vibe resonated off of him.  His messy, curly hair and artfully tight jeans only added to the image.

Katie and Ava sat on the couch behind me with another boy, and several others were draped over the sides of the couch. I wondered if Jayden would use the situation as an excuse to hold my hand or put his arm around me, and I wasn't sure what I wanted. He was cute, in a little-boy kind of way, and a nice guy. I was flattered that he liked me, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to go out with him. I'd never had a boyfriend before, and the whole thing made me nervous.

Jayden wasn't the only reason I felt uneasy.  Several teachers sat on one side of the room, and Mr. Ringer, from the library, was one of them. I knew they were only keeping an eye on the roomful of teenagers, but I felt like Mr. Ringer was focused on me. Whenever I shifted my weight I could see his eyes flicker in my direction.  I couldn't see his hands in the dark, but I wondered if he was still playing with his syringes. I imagined feeling the cold glass tubes laying along my fingers, rolling back and forth... and before I knew it they grew needles and stabbed my thumb... stop it! I told myself.

I wasn’t in any mood for a movie marathon.

“Too sleepy,” I whispered to Jayden and Katie, “I’m gonna go to bed.” Ava nodded and squeezed off the couch, following as I threaded my way around the sprawled bodies to the door. 

"Too boring," she said, when we got outside. "I'm gonna go check my email." She headed off down the sidewalk toward the library.  It was cold outside, and I shrugged into my coat quickly, hurrying straight ahead to my warm dorm room.

I was halfway back to my room when I saw a flicker of light from one of the classroom windows in the science building. The light turned off just after I looked in that direction. Then I saw the door open.  I stood in a pool of light on the sidewalk as I peered into the dark shadow, and was surprised to see John walking toward me over the grass.

“Hi Dara,” he said as he approached. My face must have looked as startled and creeped out as I felt, and he added, “It’s just me. John. From your physics class, you know.” (As if I didn't know his whole class schedule, room number, and usual lunch table.) He looked a little out of breath, and his black hair was sweaty and disheveled. He was eating a banana again.

“Tired of Back to the Future?” he asked, stepping onto the sidewalk.  With that step he waded into my pool of light, and I could feel the ripples of his presence.

So I threw up into the grass. I hung onto the lamppost while I puked and then while I caught my breath.

Shoot, shoot, shootnot again!  “Sorry,” I choked out, “I’m feeling bad.” 

“Don’t worry,” he assured me, looking sympathetic and coming closer. “Sorry you're sick.”

He patted me on the back and my stomach exploded again. I crumpled to my hands and knees as the rest of my dinner joined the Skittles in the grass. 

John backed up, and I saw him glance behind us, back at the student center where the movie was playing.

“It’s okay,” I told him, “Why don’t you go finish the movie? I’m gonna go to my room.”