Chapter 4 - Everything That Could've Gone Wrong

Muichiro's POV

I froze, I don't know why. But when shit started to hit the fan, I froze. And I clung onto Tanjirou like a baby animal.

And when I really needed it most, I forgot how the damn life jacket works. Tanjirou pulled me close to him and helped me. I was a bit surprised. But everything calmed down after a few hours. It was early morning by the time the waves had calmed down, everyone was tired. And even through the thrashing thunder, some people were lulled to sleep when the waves calmed down and just gently rocked the ship.

I wasn't one of them, I was still stunned, frozen in shock and fear. That feeling didn't settle until the sky was a clear blue with light clouds and the waters were still... but even then I had an eerie feeling. The water... was almost too still.

"Ok, everyone, the waves have calmed and everything seems to be going back to normal, breakfast will be served and then you all will be allowed to go to sleep. There will be no class today, thank you for your cooperation" Tomioka announced, "Everyone please take your life jackets with you"

Everyone started taking their life jackets off and moving around the tables back to their original position. Breakfast was served quickly, since a lot of people wanted to go back to sleep, yogurt cups were handed out along with cereal in plastic cups. I ate quickly and then headed straight for my bed. I wrapped myself tightly in my blanket and instantly, it was lights out.

I woke up to the sound of the intercom buzzing on, "It's dinner time, report to the dining hall for dinner"

I groaned. I was still tired and I felt fatigue, but I knew I should get up now so that I could move around for a bit and then get back on the sleeping schedule. I flopped out of bed and dragged myself to the dining room, I pulled my hair up in a quick and messy bun. I could practically feel the bags under my eyes sagging.

I sat down at one of the benches next to Tanjirou, "Hello Muichiro, did you sleep well?" he asked enthusiastically.

"How exactly can you be so enthusiastic right now?" I asked sarcastically.

"I got a good nap in and then I played some games in the lounge with other people, and I had fun–" he started yapping.

"That was a rhetorical question" I chuckled lightly.

"Oh I didn't realize," he said with a confused expression.

Tonight was a gracious and elegant meal of baked beans, a small side of caesar salad and a rice cake.

I held my rice cake in my hand and scrunched my nose at it, "If you don't want it, I'll happily take it off your hands for you" boar man said with his hand reached out.

"Keep your grimy hands off my rice cake" I said, as I slipped it into my pocket. Even if I didn't eat it, I still had another use for it. Even if we weren't allowed to take food back to our rooms.

After eating I left the rice cake in a plastic container in my locker along with the cookie from last night.

Tanjirou's POV

I took my clothes off and got into the shower quickly, the water was cold once again but I had the feeling that I would get used to it.

I kept my eyes down, I didn't need to be looking at anyone, that'd be rude. But I felt my face heat up when I caught glances of Muichiro standing under the shower next to me. I really didn't mean to, but eyes would sometimes break away from the ground.

I had to admit, I wasn't fazed when I found out he was a guy. But since we're both guys, I knew that I had to tread lightly. It's different with girls, it's more acceptable. And who knows, maybe he just enjoys the comfort of women's clothing and isn't gay in the slightest.