forever and ever | rui x reader

rui x reader (platonic love)

best read in: dark mode

font: as small as you feel comfortable using

!lower case intended!

ever since he was born, rui had always had a weak body, making merely breathing a tiring task. he was always trapped in his room, taken care of by his family.

the only person apart from his parents who cared for him was the neighbour's daughter, y/n, who was around his age but a little older than him. her aura was warm, rui was always comfortable in her presence. she was like his older sister, always making sure he was comfortable and entertained.

every day, y/n would come over to his house after finishing school and tell him about all the interesting things he missed. sometimes, she would even bring something to show him. whenever he felt stuffy and useless in his room, y/n would extend her hand to him and offer him a piggyback ride in his backyard. that was the happiest moments of rui's memories. they would run around, y/n pretending that she was his trusty partner and they had to go save a person in distress.

that was their tradition. rui was always so sad when she had to leave. he would start to quietly cry after she was gone. sometimes, she would hold him close and reassure him that she wouldn't stop coming. one day, things were different.rumours began to spread about y/n often going over to rui's house. their village was tightly knit, so of course news would spread like wildfire. rui clearly remembers the day he heard about the rumour.

it was slightly snowing outside, yet the sliding door to the backyard was open. he wasn't cold though, with the brazier beside him keeping him warm. his parents had assumed he was asleep. they stood outside his room, talking in hushed voices.although rui was an ill boy, his ears were still sharp. he heard them discussing whether they should keep allowing y/n to come visit their son, in case it ruined her reputation.

"should we really let her visit our son?" rui's father muttered. his wife mumbled an answer. "she's the only thing keeping him sane, dear. we can inform her of our opinions when she comes tomorrow."

that night, rui didn't sleep. his brain was spinning fast, faster than it ever did. 'does she only come to accompany me out of pity? what if i ruin her reputation?' those thoughts spun in his head like a carousel, never ending, going around in circles forever.

rui lay there, watching the sun rise to a new day. his nerves grew more and more when the time that y/n came to visit drew closer. the afternoon came and y/n politely knocked on the door. his parents heard her entering their house after letting them know she was coming in.

hurriedly, they rushed over to her while she was standing in the hallway and stopped her. "y/n dear, i know you love to visit our son but please, the rumours. i'm sure you've heard them too, why are you still coming over?" rui's father whispered, looking over his shoulder, even though rui wasn't healthy enough to make his own way out of the room.

y/n shook her head firmly. "auntie, uncle, it's fine! why should i stop visiting someone i view as my little brother because of some rumours? let them talk, i don't care. rui's special to me, without him i won't be the same." with that, y/n continued to rui's room.