First Kiss

Becky held back a bored sigh from passing her lips, next to her Zoe and Jade were discussing the date their new friend had just had with Marcus. She and he had kissed and now the girls had been discussing the kiss for the last 10 minutes. This topic should have been of interest to Becky, as Marcus was part of the story, but for some reason she couldn't concentrate. Her thoughts kept drifting away from the conversation and there was a nagging feeling in her stomach. In fact, Becky couldn't stop thinking about the day their group of friends had spent at the beach, during the truth or dare game, Becky had been clumsy enough to choose truth and had been cornered by her friend's question. Jade had saved the day by revealing to everyone that she had never kissed anyone, but even so, Becky couldn't help but feel embarrassed by the revelation.

Yes, she'd never kissed anyone, and while that had never been a problem for her, this revelation had kind of... woken her up. It wasn't shameful, that wasn't the problem. The problem was that she wanted to have her first kiss, because hearing her friends talk about it and sometimes seeing them, it made her want to. Becky wanted to kiss and be kissed. But by whom? That was the main problem, who would kiss her? She was just the weird girl from Bright Field with her pony Bob and no one around her saw her as a potential kisser. And in a way, that hurt.

Zoe's voice snapped her out of her thoughts and Becky turned her head to see that her two friends were looking at her, concern in their eyes.

- Are you all right, Becky? You've been staring at the wall for almost ten minutes now... - Jade asked her.

Zoe nods to confirm what Jade has just said, and Becky feels her ears redden, embarrassed that the girls have surprised her.

- Oh yes, sorry... I was thinking about my schedule this week at the shop.

The girls seem satisfied with this answer as she doesn't continue, and the discussion starts again but on a different topic this time and Becky makes the effort to listen and participate.

OoO

This time it's Mia and Susie talking about boys, well mostly Susie talking about Callum. And for once Becky is mentally supporting Mia, she knows the truth about the Holloway boy and she understands the situation Mia is in. Becky glances at the girls sitting around the main table in the break room and then goes back to her magazine, sinking further into the sofa.

But she can't help but hear what they are saying and like the last time, her thoughts drift further away. How does it feel to kiss? Is it disgusting like Ben says every time their parents kiss or is it so great like Susie describes?

Not all kisses are alike, at least that's what Becky tells herself as she listens to Mia. It depends on yourself, the context, the intention, and the other person. And so many other things, so many things that Becky can't help but roll her eyes. Kissing sounds as complicated as a show jumping course or a dressage session to them.

Callum is a good kisser, he seems to make the decisions and Susie likes that, Marcus is shyer, fun according to Mia, a shame according to Zoe (Becky remembered bits of the conversation from last time). She's only seen the one called Alex once, and as he's in Holloway, they're not allowed to socialise with the 'enemy'. Becky sighs, since that trip to the beach, Mia is even more against the idea, though not all the boys in Holloway must be like Callum. At least Becky hopes so.

- Excuse me girls, have you seen Marcus? He's probably helping me unload the hay.

- No, sorry Pin, try the quarry side - Susie replies, smiling at him.