chapter 17.

Ailiseu pats the dust away from her black pants. The dust particles travel in different directions, causing the lass to cough a little. She could not look at Jaehyun directly in the face. Her face is flushed in embarrassment. 

Being pressed up in a small space was traumatising enough and with two strangers on the loos, it was Ailiseu's worst nightmare. 

Jaehyun steps out of the closet. It slightly creaks under his weight. He doesn't pay attention to the dust sticking to his attire. Hw was more attentive to any movements or strange sounds coming from below. 

"I think they're gone." he remarks. 

"But what if they're hiding from a distance, waiting uselessly until someone comes out?" Ailiseu asks. 

Ailiseu pats for any dust that might've stuck onto her hair. She almost flinches and freezes afterward at the sticky but frowzy cobwebs stuck in her hair. Out of all things she didn't like are spider cobwebs. 

The lad notices her frozen posture and volunteers to help remove the cobwebs. His hand brushes against her disheveled hair and hand, engendering Ailiseu's stomach to tighten at the mere contact.

As if they weren't hiding huddled up next to each other in the wardrobe, Ailiseu tries to forget the sensation she was put upon on. She had never expected Jaehyun to be this bold, but she assumed it was the only way to hide from the strangers. 

"Then we make a run for it. You can run, right?" he said, taking a step back to form a small space between the two.

She closes her eyes for a second, nodding and controlling her breathing rates. 

"I guess we'll see." 

Before the two walked out of the room, Jaehyun fishes the pocketknife out of his pouch. 

"Hold onto this just in case." he states and Ailiseu meekly gives thanks to him for holding on to it. 

The rotting and foul smell of the eyeball were still lingering on the tip of the knife, but Ailiseu refrained her senses from throwing up. The two make a slow move downstairs. Jaehyun was still listening attentively to suspicious creaks. He kept the distance between them close as usual, with him leading the way. 

"Since there's a dead end to our lead, we'll have to investigate from other sources." Jaehyun remarks. 

The pair were now standing in front of the entrance door. There were actually other rooms to search on the second floor, but without a candlelight and a scared Ailiseu, it would be best to continue another time. On the other hand, they are unsure when the next time is. 

"Are you ready?" Jaehyun asks, narrowing his eyes at the quiet young lady. 

She meekly nods in return, her attention and thoughts spiralling out of control just by looking at the door. 

Ailiseu holds out her hand, stopping the man from taking the first step. 

"Jaehyun, what are we going to do if someone is really out there, waiting for us? I-I can't stop thinking the worst-case scenario by the time we step out there." she confesses with a trembling tone. 

"Then we'll try to fight back. You have the pocket knife to use. I can use my fists and muscles." Jaehyun replies.

The statement was intended to be a bit lightweight and funny, to add a sprinkle of sweetness and confidence for the pair. Ailiseu sucks in a deep breath, exhaling the air out rather hurriedly. 

"Hah, you know your way around words." Ailiseu compliments. 

She was once again quiet, taking in another deep breath to calm her wobbling figure. She is unsure if she has it in her to sprint across the beautiful greenery.