Chapter 4

My brain was telling me to open it now, see what mysterious thing was inside it. But my heart told me to wait until tomorrow morning. I sighed, letting down the present on my heart as I closed my eyes. There was a sudden war of "Open" and "Wait" between my mind and heart. One told me to open it now and the other told me it was better to wait.

Tired of deciding, I listened to my heart and settled it down on my desk. I wouldn't open it until tomorrow morning.

I closed my eyes again and I could feel how I fell into a deep sleep. As I did that, I imagined myself in a soothing forest roaming around. The birds were chirping, bugs flying around and sometimes I could hear the pond's water running down the side. I looked around, smiling to myself. This was so beautiful. But as I touched a leaf, the whole forest started to turn grey.

Confused, I walked around looking for someone. I yelled out, but nobody answered. A fear started to grow inside of me, making me run faster each second. I couldn't be alone here, I wouldn't survive.

As I ran, wind started blowing into my face, breaking down the grey trees and plants turning them into dust. Some stayed still, still strong enough for me. The rain poured down faster and harder, making me hide my face with my arm. This was beautiful when I first came here. What happened?

As I ran away from nothing, I tripped against a rock, splashing into mud. I didn't really care, I got up and continued running away. But as I thought I was a gonner, I heard some childish voices away.

I blinked, making out some small figures. There was some people my age, running around in a circle. I could feel my dry lips forming a smile as I ran to them, glad that somebody else was here.

I could hear them singing a song. I ran closer to them, but as I got there everyone stayed quiet, looking at the ground. I looked around, confused by their reactions.

"I thought that little pesk was gone for good." I heard a femal voice.

"Why did you come back?" a man's voice was heard, anger rising.

"You destroyed our forest, and our life. What else do you want?" a kids voice said, but I didn't know if it was a girl or boy.

My eyes widened as everyone started insulting me. But what really made my eyes widened was when they looked up. It was Tabitha, James, Alisson and some other people from my old orphanage.

They started pushing me around in the circle, each one of them insulting me as they gave me a push. Tears formed in my eyes as I fell down, making my cheek bleed.

James approached to me, giving me one last kick in the face.

I woke up in a snap. I breathed heavily, looking around the room. Thank god it was only a dream. I fell down again, closing my eyes hoping the dream doesn't finish.

[...]

My eyes fluttered open because of...Most people would say 'My eyes fluttered open because "of the sunlight against my window" but no, my eyes opened because of the storm behind me.

I groaned and sat up on my bed. I was really tired but at the same time really excited and awake. Especially because of that great smell of bacon and eggs. Something we never ate in the orphanage.

My stomach rumbled. I haven't eatten supper yesterday. It was late, so don't blame me.

"Mm..." I followed the smell into the kitchen. I found out Mom was making pancakes and bacon.

On the table were those same two girls from before. They talked and played with their phones. I wanted to act natural, so I took a deep breath and walked over to them. They both looked at me and smiled.