October 12, 2021

A/N: Finger is much better, but chapters still may slow. I've got a pretty old cat, and my family is thinking that it might be her time. She won't let us brush her, and she's losing control of her bladder. I hope that's typical of a 23 year-old tabby. 

NEW TEXT FROM: F/N

Dude, did you see the news about Smith's Grove?? 

No, why? What's it about about?

Here, check it out. It's pretty messed up.
https://notareallinktoanything/smiths-grove-in-flames/24gty67er6yew4r35/metalmankaydennews.com

_______

                                                                                                      Oh, my God. That's awful! I'm glad nobody was hurt, though. Who would want to do that?

Idk, dude. It's just messed up. 

For real.

You got up from your spot on the couch and walked over to the kitchen, where Sam was preparing himself a very nice peanut butter and jelly sandwich. 

"Sam, did you see this?" You asked, handing him your phone. 

He set the knife he was going to use to cut his sandwich down and took the phone. He didn't get far into the article before he handed you your phone back and went back to his sandwich. 

"It's not the first time he's committed arson. That's, at the least, the third time." 

"How are you so non-chalent about this? How can you go about making a sanwich while your murderer is out burning down your workplace and where he spent most of his childhood?" You inquired, flabbergasted.

"Y/N, do you have a map of the town?" Sam inquired, swallowing a bite of his sandwich. 

"No, I don't. Why?" 

Sam quickly snarfed down the rest of his sandwich and wiped the crumbs on his hand on his trench coat. 

"Do you know where I can find one?" 

"I dunno. Probably at the library, or at Marley's Cartography." 

"I've never heard of that place." 

"Yeah, that's because it opened last week. They have maps of every city you can think of." 

"How much are they?" 

"Per map? I'd say maybe... 20, 25 bucks?" 

"Let's go." 

_____________________

Sam laid the map of Haddonfield out your bed. He took the cap off of a sharpie and circled the Brandyn household. 

"The murders started here. I'm assuming that Tommy lived with his parents, and the rest of his body was found at his house, so we can assume that he was killed there." 

He drew a dotted line to the since-abandoned McCalester House and circled it. "Blood pattern, damage, and fight marks suggest Mr. and Mrs. McCalester were killed in their home, as well. You see the escalation here? He went all the way across town; he's getting inpatient. Speaking of which, did you ever go to Jesse's funeral?" 

"No, his girlfriend asked that he was cremated." 

"Ah. Now, the Sanitorium." Sam circled the since-crispy building and connected that and the McCallester house with a dotted line. "You were staying there, but he set it after you left. We're just assuming it was him for now, because this doesn't seem like a coincidence. He only set it after he knew you were safe. Now, tell me what Tommy did to you." 

"He was just a... bozo who got his kicks out of picking on me because I was the new kid and I live in Michael's old house." 

"Right. Now, what about the Sanitorium upset you?" 

"All of it. The staff didn't believe me, and I didn't belong there."

"Good. Now, those two things really upset you. So, what upset you about Mr. and Mrs. McCalester?" 

You had to think hard about that one. Mrs. McCalester was a sweet old lady who brought over cookies a lot and showed you her photo albums of her and Mr. McCalester and of Jesse. Mr. McCalester was a comical old man, and Jeopardy! was his drug of choice. He loved puzzles, and he took so much pride in his flower garden. But there was one thing... 

You had been out exploring Haddonfield. Aunt A/N and Uncle U/N were busy unpacking, and you didn't want to get in their way. You had discovered a very nice park, a cute chowder place, and a bookstore. So, after picking up a new book and reading it in the park with a warm cup of chowder, you came home. 

As you crossed the street, you heard tires screeching and somebody laying on their horn. You turned around and just about shat yourself. A car was speeding towards you, and they were desperately trying to stop the car. You closed your eyes and winced, waiting for the pain. But it never came. 

"Oh, my God, kid. I'm so sorry! Are you alright?!" An old man got out of the car and ran over to you as fast as his frail body would allow. 

"I'm okay, I think." 

His car was stopped less than an inch away from you. 

"My first day here, Mr. McCalester almost hit me with his car." 

"You still upset about it?" 

"Barely." 

"We'll count it. Now, it looks like Michael is destroying people that upset you. Usually, all his crimes lead back to his house. Does anything upset you about your current life?"

"My lack of parents."

"Do you hate your Aunt and Uncle?"

"Of course not!" 

"Are you made at them for sending you to Smith's Grove?" 

"Of course!" 

"Then I have a feeling that Michael's going to break his promise."