Chapter 27

Things had been improving majorly for the two of them since their conversation the other night. With the encouragement from Carolyn they had opened up to each other and truly got how they felt out, meaning they were able to move forward together.

"Hey, so I'm on a 24 hour shift today, so I won't be home until tomorrow night." Meredith said as she packed the lunch Derek had for her into her bag.

"Oh, so no sleep for me tonight then." Derek sighed and rolled his eyes in a dramatic but playful way.

"Stop it." Meredith laughed and playfully pushed his shoulder. "I hate this as much as you do but I owe Bailey a favour so I'm doing this for her so she can be at home with her son tonight."

"I'm joking Mer." He wrapped his arms around his waist and pressed his lips against her neck before moving to rest his head on her shoulder. "I have a question for you."

"Yeah?" Meredith turned in his arms and wrapped her arms around his neck, smiling up at him. "What is it?"

"What do you want for your birthday?" He asked and watched as she frowned.

"Oh, I don't know. I don't really celebrate my birthday, never have so don't worry about it, it's not a big deal." She shrugged her shoulders and moved out of his arms.

"Yeah, well that's changing this year." He leaned down to kiss her quickly, pressing his lips to hers firmly. "Now, you need to get going otherwise you're going to be late."

"Trying to get rid of me are you?" She raised her eyebrows at him as she placed her bag on her shoulder.

"Yeah, my other girlfriend is coming round soon, so you need to get going." He winked at her.

"Oh really? Well whilst she is here you can get her to help clean up." She playfully slapped his chest before moving to the front door.

"Alright then, I will be sure to do that." Derek laughed as he followed her to the door. "Drive safe, alright?"

"I will, I love you." She stood on her tip toes as she leaned up and pressed her lips to his.

"I love you too." Derek said in between kisses as it slowly started to get more heated until Meredith pulled away.

She waved once more before heading down to her car and climbing in. Once she was gone, Derek turned back and grabbed his brief case and jacket before locking up and heading down to his own car. He took a slow drive to work as he was in no rush to get there.

"Morning Meg." He smiled as he walked in the office, his eyes going back to his phone.

"Mr Shepherd, morning." Megan smiled back. "Looking like another slow morning for you today, got an elderly women who is looking to sue her neighbour as they dog keeps 'crapping' on her front lawn." Meg quoted as she handed over the file to Derek, trying not to laugh.

"Seriously?" Derek sighed. "So much for being one of the best lawyers in Seattle. Thanks for this Meg." He held up the file before walking into his office.

"Actually, Mr Shepherd, I have something I need to tell you..." Meg pushed herself up and followed Derek into his office.

"Sure, what is it?" Derek smiled as he took a seat in his chair and looked up at her.

"Well, basically...what I'm trying to say is..." Meg stumbled before looking down at the floor. "I'm pregnant." She said quietly but just loud enough for Derek to hear.

"That's amazing news, congratulations Meg!" Derek smiled widely.

"Thank you, I wasn't going to tell you yet, I mean after everything." She gave him a half smile.

"Honestly, don't worry about me, this is amazing news. We will sort your maternity leave and everything out, plus you always have a job here." Derek said as he started pulling his paperwork together.

"Thank you Mr Shepherd, I'll leave you to it." She smiled once more before exiting his office and shutting the door behind her.

He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair as he began reading through the file he had been handed this morning. When he moved here, he was promised big cases which would challenge him but right now he was getting the complete opposite. If it wasn't for Meredith then he would 100% regret moving out here.

His phone rang and pulled him from his thoughts, he smiled as he saw Meredith's name light up his phone.

"Wow, not even apart for 2 hours and you miss me already." Derek laughed down the phone.

"Shut up." Meredith giggled down the phone. "Look, being serious now, apparently the hospital is having some kind of fund raiser next month and obviously I have to be there and I was wondering if you'd like to come with me?"

"Well, well, Meredith Grey are you asking me out on a date?" Derek leaned back in his chair.

"Derek, I'm being serious. Richard keeps asking me if I'm bringing someone because they need to put you on the list, so will you be able to make it?"

"Yeah, just send me the details and I will get it booked off work." He replied.

"Perfect. I've got to go, see you later." She rambled down the phone.

"Bye." Derek laughed before placing his phone back down on his desk.

His attention was drawn back to his work, knowing the quicker he got it done the more time he would have to start putting in plans in motion for Meredith's birthday.

Opening up his computer, he searched up some of the best jewellers in Seattle, in the hopes he would find the perfect present for Meredith. But he couldn't help but look at engagement rings. Some would say it was too fast but after everything they had been through, their was no doubt in his mind that they wouldn't spend the rest of their lives together.

In that moment he knew he would be proposing to Meredith sooner rather then later. He was going to make it a day that neither of them would ever forget. Picking up his phone he dialled his moms number and held it up to his ear.

"Hey ma, I need your help..." he smiled as he spoke to his mom.

This was it, Derek was going to ask Meredith to be his wife.