╰•★★ ƈɧཞıʂɬɱąʂ ıŋ ɬɧɛ Ɩơʂɬ ƈıɬıɛʂ ★★•╯

It was Christmas Eve morning, and snow had blanketed the lost cities. On every corner, elves could be seen putting up colorful, glittering lights and festive decorations. Jensi and Biana were one of the many. Their laughter, combined with several other's, could be heard up and down the chilly white path. Biana squealed and ran for cover when Jensi slyly stooped to form a snowball in his bare hands. She ducked behind a tree just before Jensi pitched it towards her. The snowball soared past the tree, smacking Sophie instead square in the arm. It was a warm welcome for the blond-haired girl who'd just arrived with Linh, Keefe, and Tam.

"Ouch, Jensi!" She called, rubbing the spot where the snowball had hit. "This isn't Major League Baseball!"

Jensi looked confused. "Is that..." he trailed off when he caught Sophie's tired look. "Nevermind!"

Sophie's exhausted look vanished, and was replaced with a mischievous one as she also bent to cup snow in her hands. 

It was on. Teams were sorted out almost immediately.  Biana, Jensi, and Tam on one side, Sophie, Linh, and Keefe on the other. 

The small clearing they had selected for war soon became a fierce battlefield, with snowballs whizzing every which way, and cries of fallen warriors. Fitz, Dex, Wylie, and Marella, oblivious to what was taking place, stepped right into the midst of the danger zone, and were soon covered in head to toe with white, fluffy snow. Enthusiastic shouts went up as the game intensified, new players on each side. 

Hours flew by, and soon enough, the sun began to set. All players were strewn around the battlefield, panting for breath and laughing, even though their sides were already sore.

Keefe was the first to sit up, grinning playfully. "Sophie, didn't you mention that Edaline has mallowmelt and other snacks at Havenfield?"

Dex shot up as well, licking his lips. "Wait, really?"

Sophie laughed at their longing faces, remembering the scent of pre-made treats. "Yeah, Mom is probably waiting for us back at Havenfield. Y'all are so obssesed with her snacks." 

"You have to admit that they're tasty. And I also need to see Iggy," Dex grinned, pulling two vials from inside his cloak and swishing them around. One held a red liquid, and the other green. 

Keefe's hand shot up into the air, not unlike a small child's, and his voice was enthusiastic. "Ooooh! Dex! Can I help this time? Please?"

Dex held the two vials close to his chest, giving the child (sometimes called Keefe) a mysterious look. "No, this is the job of a professional alchemist. One cannot interfere. I am sincerely sorry, Mr. Sencen." 

Linh, who had been failing to contain her laughter, fell backwards into the fluffy snow, wheezing at Dex's deep, croaky, British-person voice attempt. The rest soon followed, and soon enough, everyone was, once again, shaking with laughter, gasping for breath, and wiping away tears. Even Tam was smiling (which is kind of a miracle.)

Once the noise had died down, Sophie stood up, clapping her gloved hands. "Come on guys, we can't keep that mallowmelt waiting!" 

Keefe licked his lips and stood up as well. "I'm in agreement with Foster. Edaline's ripplefluffs are calling my name!

Eventually, every member of the snow-clad group were raising their crystals to the chilly sunlight. In a blur, all were leaped to Havenfield's doorstep. The mouth-watering scent of warm goodies filled the air, even from outside. 

Sophie creaked the door open, inhaling the sweet smell of mallowmelt in all of its glory. 

"Come on in guys!" Edaline called from somewhere in the house. Keefe was first to snap out of the trance the delicious smells had put them all in. The cheery group excitedly stepped in and closed the door behind them. 

"Sophie, what in the Lost Cities is that?"  Dex stared at a large, green tree decorated with rows of shiny, homemade ornaments, glittering lights, and a sparkling golden star, which Edaline had conjured up from somewhere in the Forbidden Cities.

Sophie smiled, happy to share. "It's a Christmas tree! Back in the Forbidden Cities, almost everyone puts them up in their home and decorates it. I thought it would be nice to start the tradition here, too."

The rest of the group looked puzzled, except for Linh and Biana, who were fawning over the sparkly lights and glittery decorations and wrapped presents around the house. 

"Look, Biana, this one has your name on it!"

"Alright everybody, Christmas Eve dinner is served!" Grady called, exiting the kitchen holding up a silver platter topped with various delicacies. Grinning cheerfully behind him came his wife, holding up yet another platter, which was held high and balanced on one practiced hand. 

"Come on, you guys," she called playfully. "If you don't work, you don't eat!"

Soon, the whole place was alive, everyone rushing off to different jobs. Everyone wanted Christmas Eve dinner, especially since Edaline was the chef. Everyone wanted anything made by Edaline.

Linh and Wylie handled dish-washing; Linh using telekinesis to lift up the plates and splash water and soap on them, and Wylie just washing and scrubbing the old-fashioned way. Soon, the sink would be empty and ready for the many new dishes to come.

Sophie and Keefe handled the food that was still cooking, but mostly Sophie, as she was really only trying to keep Keefe's reaching fingers away from everything. 

Jensi and Biana organized the food on the table as Edaline and Grady brought more out, and Dex and Marella helped around everywhere. 

Soon, the Christmas Eve dinner was ready. The tree was lit and glowing festively. Garland and tinsel were wrapped around the long banister. Next to that, a red carpet was sprawled down the stairs. A merry wreath hung at the front door, and golden lights ran along the exterior of the cheery house. 

The adults began to filter in. The Ruewen family had invited the Black Swan collective, Stina and her family, and everyone else's parents for the once-in-a-year-meal. 

Soon, everyone was seated at the table. Grady straightened in his chair and cleared his throat, raising his glass of lushberry juice.

"Merry Christmas, everyone!"

Laughing, everyone mirrored him, raising their crystal glasses as well. "Merry Christmas!"

The sound of clinking glasses and plates, jolly laughter and cheer filled the snowy night, and afterwards, everyone laid in their beds, grinning at the memories. Memories that would be with them for many Christmas Eves to come. As everyone feasted and chatted, the Sun sank below the horizon. Every second of wait was slightly agonizing for Sophie, who severely wanted her presentes. But as she giggled with her loved ones, she realized that Christmas wasn't about the presents, instead the fun and joy of it.

Merry Christmas!