Three

My mother apparently had needed a distraction that afternoon because in three hours flat she had all of her things from the guest room moved up to the attic, fresh sheets on the bed, she even unpacked Evander's belongings into the closet and bathroom which made him flush with embarrassment.

"Evander sweetheart your room is ready. Stay as long as you'd like hun." Her southern drawl was thick as she over enunciated her vowels. 

"Thank you ma'am. I appreciate it and I'm sure Lucy would love to have her room back." His voice was much smoother sounding making my hair stand on end. I smiled nodding I was sick of the couch already not that I was going to admit that. Evander's new room was on the same wall as mine while my brothers was on the other side of the hall because he snores. I hoped Evander didn't snore. We could not be friends if he did.

"Lucy?!" My mother called from her bedroom she was sitting in her open window smoking a cigarette. She only smoked when she was stressing and today more than likely sent her over the edge. "I've got to go in to town today someone called from the office. Please keep an eye on your brother for me. He's still upset about your father showing up here this morning." It was unspoken but we all were still upset. As long as I can remember my father has been this drunken lunatic who terrorized my mother. And as long as I can remember Dylan was stuck in the middle of their arguments because my mother would never stand up for herself.

"Sure. Should I start dinner or will you be home in time?" She put out her cigarette before answering looking glum. "What is it mom?" There was a bit of panic laced in my voice. She opened her mouth the speak but we heard the front door slam. I peeked my head out into the hall and Dylan was still huffing.

She brought her voice down to a whisper. "I may not come home tonight I just need to clear my head. I may stay at the studio tonight. Don't let your brother go to your father's keep them out of trouble." I nodded, "Love you." She smiled lighting up another cigarette staring out the window.

She left not much longer after we spoke and Dylan was pouting in his room. Evander was awkwardly lounging around flipping through the channels. I entered the living room and he sat up turning down the volume. "Wanna go to the store with me?" He slipped his shoes on quickly.

"Yes, sure." He smiled following me out the door. I grabbed my brothers keys to the truck and we headed to town. I didn't bother telling my brother we were leaving because when he was in a mood like this it was best to leave him alone. He was a super hot head.

"What do we need from the store?" He asked rolling down his window hanging his hand out. I put on my signal to turn onto the freeway.

"Just something for dinner. Mom is not coming home tonight." I informed him keeping my focus on the road. "What sounds good?" He shrugged taking in the green scenery on the sides of the big road.

"Whatever you like." He trailed off a bit, "Would it be rude of me to ask you a personal question?" I chuckled shaking my head encouraging him to go on. "What happened to make your brother hate your dad that much?" I winced wishing he hadn't just asked me that, but I had given him permission.

"It's because of me really." I slowed to a stop once we'd reached the exit and got to the stop sign. He turned his full attention to me. "I got in between one of my parents many many fights one night. My father hit me by mistake and shoved me away and Dylan went ballistic." I told him cringing. "My father has suffered from alcoholism his whole life. He is bi polar and has a personality disorder. He got better for a few years and then my mother left him. He's spiraled down again over the last two years. He loves my mother but they can't be together for obvious reasons. I still try and visit him occasionally but Dylan hates it and hates him." I confessed openly.

Evander blew a deep breath from his mouth. His face had a strange expression I couldn't decipher. "That's heavy." He spoke finally. "I can understand why your brother feels so strongly about it though. If anything happened to my brother like that I would be the exact same way." I agreed.

"I'm sorry that this is all playing out this way. You're suppose to be here to get away from drama but our family is kind of messed up." I laughed parking once we'd arrived at the grocery store.

"It's fine really. Just getting away from the city is good enough for me. What's a vacation without a little drama?" He smiled with all his teeth revealing he had two small dimples in his cheeks. I felt my body stir taking notice to his charm. I nodded tucking a strand of hair behind my ear pretending I wasn't just gawking at his good looks.

"Let's go grab some dinner." I decided unbuckling myself locking the truck behind us. I grabbed a buggy strolling it down the isles thinking about what I knew how to cook. "Alright any ideas for real?" I chuckled trying to rack my brain.

"Tacos?" I nodded my head going straight for the ground meats. I studied the different kinds knowing full and well Dylan would complain if I got ground turkey like I wanted so I got beef just to please him since he was already angry. I turned another corner and was hit with a dizzy spell. I slowed to a stop clutching my head feeling the drop of my blood sugar. I reached in my purse for my kit pricking my finger like I usually did multiple times a day. "Whoa what are you doing?" Evander questioned watching me horrified.

"I need some orange juice or something." I looked around ignoring his question and found one of those mini fridges toward the front of the store. I chugged down some juice and grabbed some peanut butter crackers shoving some in my mouth feeling better almost immediately. Evander watched me with careful eyes like I'd collapse at any minute. "Hey I'm fine blood sugars a little low. I'm diabetic." I explained. Color flushed back into his face with relief.

"Sorry I've never known anyone diabetic before. I didn't know what was going on." He chuckled scratching his head. I finished my crackers and orange juice saving the remains so I could pay for them later. "Are you alright now?" I nodded feeling almost entirely better.

"Feeling better. It's fine just a small drop. I didn't eat before we left." He nodded following me back down the isle with the tortillas. I grabbed some veggies and cheese and we headed back to the house after he insisted on loading up and driving. He'd memorized the way home which impressed me considering this was only the second time we'd left the house. His sense of direction was probably incredible considering his line of work.

He turned the radio up to fill the silence and once we pulled into the driveway we could see Dylan sitting on the front porch with his hands in his lap. He spit off the side of the railing and stood once we closed the truck doors. He looked less angry and walked over to help us with the bags still silent.

"What's for dinner?" He asked once we were inside unloading the groceries. "Tacos? I bet that was Evans idea huh?" He laughed.

"What? I love tacos leave me alone." He argued grabbing a Coke from the fridge offering me a Coke Zero which nearly had me blushing that he'd taken notice. I grabbed the drink from his hand popping it open taking a sip. Dylan raised a brow at the exchange.

"Am I chopped liver?" He shoved him lightly away from the fridge getting his own soda. "Hang with my sister for an afternoon and I'm left in the dust. I see how it is." He teased and Evander surprised me by coming around and hanging his arm over my shoulder making my heart rate spike.

"I mean you snooze you lose." He countered only earning himself another shove and a smack on the head.

"You'll never replace me! I'm the best friend. Back off Lucy." I held my hands up smiling happy that he was feeling better and also pretty thrilled that Evander had put his arm around me. I had a crush.