Two

I woke up with a start after hearing a ruckus outside near the window to my left. Squinting my eyes from the sun peeling in through the curtains I crawled out from under the blankets to check it out. I turned the corner into the kitchen and looked out the clear glass screen door. My mother was standing there arms crossed screaming at none other than my father. What was he doing here this early? I glanced at the stove it was only 7 in the morning. I frowned and opened the door letting in the warm breeze interupting them.

"Mom?" I questioned my father's face traveled to my own. It instantly softened from the hard expression he was wearing only moments before I made myself known.

"Go inside honey." Her voice was laced with sadness and she didn't look at me keeping her back facing me. What had he said this time? My parents never got along, I don't think I have a single good memory of them together. I was relieved when I was told they were divorcing. They never could have a friendly exchange especially these days.

"Don't. I think she should hear this." My father argued taking a step on the porch. My mother hated when he tried to come into her house.

"Get your foot off my porch!" She shouted at the top of her lungs. "I told you that you weren't allowed past the end of the walkway when we divorced and by God I mean't it!" I sighed the fights were endless. I didn't really blame my mother, my father's drunken acts went too far on most occasions. I wouldn't have stood for it either, but they could at least try to not hate eachother. They didn't even pretend to like eachother for our sake.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him taking a step outside letting the door close behind me. The porch was already warm, and my feet were burning slightly from the heated wooden surface.

"I just wanted to see my kids, but that is too much to ask for." He blubbered, he wasn't drunk, but definitely not sober. As usual. My father spent most days in the bar, and nights well at the bar.

"Dad you've been drinking. Go home." I pleaded pointing back to his rusted beaten up vehicle that he'd had as long as I could remember. He once told me that you couldn't replace a good truck. He rolled his eyes taking a step forward nearly toppling over in the process. Maybe he was drunk...

"Haven't you heard a word I've said?!" My mother shouted at him fuming and that's when he lunged. He grabbed her arms shaking her roughly.

"Woman! Shut your damn mouth!" My eyes widened a little. Were we back to that? Back to the violence? I immediately stepped back inside. "Come on Lucy. Come with me." He pleaded sadly. I couldn't look at him, he was breaking my heart.

"Dad go home before I get Dylan." I begged tears welling in my eyes. He frowned and took another step closer his grip on my mother's arm tightened. "Please stop." Anger clouded his eyes, and for the first time I was afraid that he might do something to me. I immediately closed the door and ran straight to Dylan's room.

"Dylan." I spoke loudly, panicked almost. He groaned, ever since he'd been back he valued sleeping in. "Dylan wake up please. Dad's here." My voice was shakey. He sat up quickly at the mention of dad because that was never a good thing.

"Where? Here?" I pointed to the kitchen. "Stay in here Luce." He hated when my father came here. I didn't want to resort to waking him up, but I wasn't about to watch him hurt my mother again. I stood in his doorway watching from the hall.

The second Dylan walked outside my dad took a step back. He knew better than to pick a fight with Dylan. He was stronger, trained, smarter. He raised his hands with defeat and and stepped off the porch. Dylan pointed somewhere and I couldn't really hear much other than the mumbled arguement.