Battlefield Scene

The battlefield had a cold malevolent air to it, the wind howling past you in every which way, as if trying to express it's own confusion at the sudden sieze-fire. I, myself, was confused, One minute the bullets were raining holy hell down on us in a never-ending bombardment, and the next, nothing.

No movement, no bullets, no wind, no people. It's like they just vanished, or were never there to begin with.

A fog was rolling in, throwing us all into despair; we couldn't fight if we couldn't see. The fog was dense, so thick you'd need a knife to cut through it. We knew, though, that we were not alone. Shadowy figures were steadily moving closer, their mangled, horrific forms visible enough to send fear punching through our guts.

And then suddenly, we were being mobbed, bullets pelting us, slaughtering us like sheep whilst we weren't expecting it. We sould have known. But we didn't, and we paid for it dearly. Ten of us were already dead before we knew what had happened.

The air was hazy, a red mist thrown up from the sheer of blood that was spilt. The red mist and the blue sky meeting, joining, combining until the sky, too, was red.

We were being slaughtered. There were too many of them and too little of us. It was a massacre.

The smell of blood hit me then, the adrenaline fading fast from my system, and I retched. It was overpowering, so strong I could taste it. I could suddenly hear the screams of the dying men, the sound of the guns going off and cannon fire stunning me briefly in it's sudden intensity.

My senses became hypersensitive. I could smell the blood, sweat and fear hanging heavily in the air, I could feel the mud squelching beneath my feet, sticking to me as I ran and all I could hear was the thump-thump of my heartbeat, pounding deafeningly through my head.

I yelled, irrational courage searing through me, leaving me helplessly incapable of resisting the overpowering wave of emotion, and opened fire. A red haze decended over my mind and I knew no more.

Later, once I had regained my senses, I looked around. I saw nobody. I was alone.