Six

Let the games begin, I guess, Kazue sighed mentally, hanging back for a second to judge the Creation girl's speed before taking off in a medium-fast jog. He let half his mind wander as he ran, the other half paying attention to where he was going and what his limbs were doing.

Based on his research of the school, his homeroom teacher for the heroics course would either be the underground hero Eraser Head for 1-A or Vlad King for 1-B. Kazue didn't quite care for the teachers of the other subjects enough to actually check the school's website, knowing he'd probably sleep through them anyway, but for the heroics class...

No one really knew, ever since it had been announced that the current heroics teacher for the first years was retiring at the end of the school year.

But there was a rumor floating around that-

Kazue brought his full attention back to the obstacle course upon arriving at a particular section, grimacing upon seeing the stretch of water they were required to swim across.

Sure, he was prepared for the situation with a waterproof pouch inside his track jacket's pocket, but taking out the small devices in his ears still wasted more time than he would've liked. More irritating than that? He couldn't let himself zone out when he could only hear overly loud noises (like Present Mic's obnoxious commentary) and the rest of the world was complete and utter silence.

Meaning, Kazue couldn't continue theorizing on who the new heroics teacher was and would actually have to focus on not being run over by the random logs floating around that the examiners had decided were necessary.

"What a pain," he muttered inaudibly to anyone, spitting out some water from his mouth in the process.

Mentally checking his progress as he clambered out of the water and was instantly hit with a blast of hot air from several heaters surrounding the area, Kazue fought the urge to just lay down right there and watch the clouds instead. The end of the log-filled pool was just about a kilometer though the course, meaning that he was only one-third done.

Also, the Creation girl was twenty seconds ahead of him and gaining as he fumbled the small devices back into his ears, ending up at twenty-four seconds ahead.

Ugh. Meaning, based on her average running speed, as well as accounting for gradual fatigue... Kazue would have to increase his own speed by-

"Stop calculating everything, idiot," Kazue muttered, catching up to within ten meters with a short sprint instead. He huffed out an annoyed breath as his legs went on autopilot, rolling his eyes at his own thought process and how it automatically did the math for everything. The speed he needed to run for a certain period of time to catch up, the range the average score for the exam would likely be in, you name it, and he was calculating it without thinking.

If he was being completely honest, it was all pointless. Why calculate something constant when Kazue could literally just sprint for a few seconds and have the same result?

He had no goddamn clue. Maybe it was just the way his brain functioned. Maybe it was because he had a slight obsession with the subject. Or maybe it was because the teenager stayed up late last night walking one of his subscribers through their advanced calculus homework over Skype, then proceeded to record a video on the subject the mentioned homework covered because it was apparently difficult to understand.

Then again, none of it really mattered. Even if he stopped himself or not, Kazue still knew the answer to every question he paused halfway through in a heartbeat. It was as quick as breathing, and that was saying something considering the fast pace at which his chest was rising and falling due to physical activity.