Eight

Eraser Head was... a strange teacher, to put it lightly, even before he'd introduced himself as Aizawa Shōta.

Meaning, obviously, that he was likely to be either Kazue's favorite or least favorite teacher by the end of the day. First off, he'd pretty much called their entire class irrational during the first ten seconds of appearing in a yellow sleeping bag outside the door, something the teen could agree on—they were so enthusiastic about wanting to be heroes; reason enough in his book. Secondly, he'd skipped the pointless entrance ceremony and orientation, also known as a snoozefest that just told people what they would've known if they'd just looked at the website and done their research.

Also... that green haired Quirkless kid from around ten months ago? The one who'd rushed in to attack the sludge villain to try and save the angry blond that also happened to be in the same class?

Yeah, he apparently had a Quirk now, but that wasn't even the best part.

Kazue could only stare when the shorter boy had entered the room awkwardly, and even more so the more he dug into the Quirk known as One For All. All Might's Quirk, and this random kid had it. Well, more of it had been transferred through the Number One hero's DNA entering the freckled boy's body and the man being willing to complete the transfer.

If the brunet was being honest, One For All was probably the most interesting Quirk he'd ever done a reading on, and he'd come into contact with all the current top heroes at least once.

Anyway.

Unfortunately, with Eraser Head making the class skip the entrance ceremony and orientation, they now had to put on gym uniforms, go outside to the marked-up field, and do-

"A Quirk assessment test?!" pretty much the entire class exclaimed, cutting off Kazue's train of thought yet completing it at the same time.

"What about the entrance ceremony?" a rather round-faced brunette girl questioned, eyes wide. "The orientation?"

Eraser Head answered without looking back. "If you're going to become a hero, you don't have time for such leisurely events. Yūei's selling point is how unrestricted its school traditions are." He glanced back over his scarf-encased shoulder. "That's also how the teachers run their classes."

The hero turned further around until he was halfway facing the class, hands in the pockets of his costume. "You kids have been doing these since junior high, too, right?" Eraser asked rhetorically, holding up a phone with different tests listed across its screen. "Physical fitness tests where you weren't allowed to use your Quirks. The country still uses averages taken from results from students not using their Quirks. It's not rational. Well, the Ministry of Education is procrastinating."

True enough, Kazue would admit. Why measure only part of someone's potential instead of its entirety? That was just idiotic on the end of the Ministry, a group of old people who hated change. Oh, wait, that also applied to the Hero Public Safety Commission... More pains in Kazue's ass when all he was doing was writing and filing reports as an unlicensed minor and they got on his father's case about it. Seriously, who cared if it was illegal if the job was done well and on time?

"Bakugō, you finished at the top of the practical exam, right?"

The angry blond, who had a rather powerful Quirk known as Explosion, looked up.

"In junior high, what was your best result for the softball throw?"

Based on his stature and obvious strength... somewhere in the range of sixty-five to seventy meters, Kazue mused mentally, shoulders hunched as he stood at the back of the class. Oh, how he wished he could just sit down and read, but he doubted the pro hero in charge would particularly like that.