the beginning

They had all realized it separately. If you were to ask them when they first noticed that things between Druig and Makkari weren't strictly platonic, every one of them would give you a different answer. There wasn't a single moment that shifted the course of their relationship—no, it was the smaller things, the moments in between. That was how it happened.

Ajak, unsurprisingly, had been the first to notice the differences.

It hadn't taken long at all. Only a few months after they had landed on Earth. She had seen it firsthand, catching the fleeting glimpses of something more when no one else seemed to be looking. But, then again, no one ever seemed to be looking. Not when it mattered. Or at least, that's what Ajak would tell Ikaris, many years later.

They were all too self-absorbed, too mission-driven, to notice each other. No one paid any mind to Sprite's growing anxieties, her self-hatred. No one saw the way Phastos would wince every time one of his machines was used to kill. No one saw the way Thena started to slip away from them, piece by piece, as the Mahd Wy'ry slowly consumed her.

They didn't hold it against each other. After all, it would've been redundant—each of them was as guilty as the last. Perhaps that was why it took so long for the group as a whole to realize that, at some point during their long and arduous tenure on Earth, little Makkari, the speedster with the beaming smile, had managed to capture Druig's heart.

And if you asked Ajak, it had started small, all those millennia ago.