sprite

AFTER THE EMERGENCE

Sprite was the last to notice.

If you asked her later on, she'd have no excuse, no reason to state why she'd been so blind, except that maybe her gaze had always been glued to Ikaris and she'd been unable to see anything past him. But it was on the beach, after Ikaris' betrayal—and her own, as well—that she finally saw Druig and Makkari.

Druig had hit her over the head, knocked her unconscious long enough to help Sersi escape, and when she awoke, he was sitting next to her. She wasn't sure what she expected—a fight, a screaming match, something—but Druig surprised her. He only held out a hand and helped her stand on the rocks, saying, "Come on, then."

"Are you going to kill me?" She had asked.

"No." Druig replied, eyes searching the island.

"Why not?"

"Enough of us have died already, don't you think?" He retorted. Sprite didn't have an answer for that, so she nodded slowly. Druig continued a beat later, smirking as he said, "Besides, forcing you to live with your own guilt is a much greater punishment than death."

And Sprite had to admit that he was right. They trudged alongside each other, walking slowly towards the chaos they could hear below. When they emerged on the beach, it was to see a mess. Everyone scattered around, bruised and hurting one another. Sersi, Makkari, Phastos, Ikaris, Thena—all of them squabbling.

But Sprite, who stayed a little further behind Druig, witnessed the moment she knew Druig and Makkari were more than close friends.

Makkari had turned as they hit the sand, face falling in agony and relief at the sight of Druig, albeit a little aching and limping, but alive. Her lips had trembled, eyes welling with tears as she realized that he was okay, that Ikaris had lied. Makkari had half-run to him, feet staggering over the sand as he made his way to her.

She hugged him, brilliantly, tightly, and he hugged her back just as hard, face tucked low into the curve of her neck. They half spun as they hugged, holding on to each other for dear life. Sprite couldn't see what Druig's face was doing, but Makkari's eyes were squeezed shut, forehead pressed to the side of his neck, where she could feel his heartbeat.

When they pulled back, they didn't go far. Makkari leaned backwards just enough to get a good look at him, to ensure that he truly was alright, before they both bowed towards each other, like magnets. Druig let his forehead rest against Makkari's, murmuring soft reassurances to her that only she would understand.

Makkari pressed even closer, letting her nose fall against his. She closed her eyes, drowning in the feelings of him, letting his calm wash over her. She gripped his shoulders like she was afraid he would disappear if she didn't tether him to the beach, and his hands clasped around her back, keeping her locked in his own gravity.

They stayed like that for a while, a heartbeat between them.

They came back to, remembering there was still work to be done. Makkari's eyes blinked open, rejuvenated and alive, and Druig smiled down at her, dimples peppering his cheeks. The smile she offered him in return was equal parts happy and relieved. They stared into each other's eyes, warm amber meeting crystalline skies.

They kept staring at each other as they straightened, Druig winding an arm around Makkari's waist as she leaned into his side. They walked away, in their own little world, leaving Sprite standing just a few paces behind them, watching. She had never seen a love like theirs, she supposed, so all consuming and primal.

When the battle was over, she wasn't at all surprised to find that Druig, Makkari, and Thena had volunteered to take to the stars together, to spread the news about the Celestials. In fact, Sprite would be willing to bet her newly human lifestyle that Druig and Makkari would never separate again, at least not voluntarily.

As the Domo shot off into the sky, Sprite found herself leaning over to Sersi. "You all see it too, right?"

"Seen it for a while now." Sersi responded calmly. "The rest of you were late."

"Oh, come on!" Phastos said. "That's not even fair. We were busy with... other things."

"It was obvious to anyone with eyes. Ajak noticed it the first time, I'm sure of it." Sersi smiled. "In fact, I'm sure she knew it before they even did."

"When do you think they realized?" Sprite asked.

"I'm not sure," Sersi responded, eyes watching the stars. "That's for them to know."