05.

As the day dragged on, the March home seemed still from the outside - aside from the odd bits of muffled chatter. But from within? It was a wild contrast to its exterior and full of life. The sisters had set up the props and changed into their costumes, after hours of perfecting their new lines.

Taking position as the current Narrator, so that Jo could make sure everything flowed, Aurelia took her place by the window. The sun had slowly began to descend, now being at the mid point - and its light perfectly illuminated the pages in front of her.

From the corner of her eye she saw Marmee approach the house, a tiredness among her features as she reached for the knob. The door opened and the woman beamed in the doorway - all the tiredness from moments before was swept away by a smile.

"Merry Christmas girls!"

Each March girl broke away from rehearsal, and shrieked as they crowded their mother. They cornered her with questions of concern or statements about their days and the progress of the play. However, Aurelia stayed quiet. Afraid her words might become too much for her mother to bear. She did instead, smile and ruffle her mothers hair as she sat in the kitchen. It was a small gesture Marmee noted the girl did often, to indicate a sense of appreciation or affection whenever words had failed her.

As everyone took their seats at the table, murmuring about hunger and how delicious everything looked, the older March girl's took note of their mothers silence and torn expression.

"What is it?" Meg asked, breaking the side chatter of Amy and Beth. Once again the house filled with a heavy silence. Sighing Marmee looked around the table with hope, and guilt.

"Not far from here lives a poor young woman, Mrs. Hummel. Her five children are in one bed to keep from freezing, and there is nothing to eat. My girls, will you give them your breakfast as a Christmas present?" She held her hands together, and close to her chest. Everyone looked down, discontent in their hearts.

Beth spoke up first, "Is this where you say that Father would want us to?" she asked, keeping her gaze downward. Aurelia looked around at everyone, the silence clinging to her too tightly. Before Marmee could respond, Aurelia beat her too it.

"We'll do it. After all, as long as we're together that's what matters right?" Looking around, Meg and Jo met her gaze before the trio shared a knowing look.

"Of course we'd do it, let's pack it up before it gets cold" Jo stated with ease before standing up.

Marmee's eyes held a genuine happiness, one that the middle March girl hadn't seen in a while. Nodding she motioned for Hannah to bring out the baskets.

Tossing on their boots and coats the March's left, numerous baskets in hand. The brisk of mid-day nipped away at whatever skin was exposed, turning it a light pink. The cold was something the middle March loved - the way it kept you on your toes. How it had you desiring warmth - all while enjoying it's noted presence.

As they made their way towards the wooded area beyond their home, Aurelia's eyes briefly danced towards the house across the way, but they did not linger, nor did she look twice. Perhaps if they did, she would've taken note of the curly haired boy in the window.

A snow ball pierced her directly in the face, which broke any thoughts she might have fallen into, courtesy of Jo March. Snickering, the writer began to run ahead in hopes to catch up to Meg before the younger girl had the chance to react.

Reaching down and carefully rolling a ball, the blue eyed girl weaved in and out of her sisters before attacking the red head from behind.

"Alright, alright. I surrender!" The fiery March protested, snow covering the entirety of her head as Lia prepared another snowball. The younger blond March snickered before getting the other snowball in the chest. Huffing, she pouted and walked alongside Marmee.