Project E.L.M. - Ch 1 demon's fate

Well-fed by his lovers, Gerard Morganason descended the stairs after putting his stolen princess to bed for the day. He savored that he was the only parent the future queen of the vampires had known in her two years of life. My little Portia, my pearl, she would bring the Rosesea Kingdom under my control.

Pulling open the doors to his mother's chambers, he descended into the crystal encrusted caverns below the Appalachian Mountains.

"Mother, come out of the shadows."

As usual, she stood by the reflectionless black water. Her white hair hanging to her ankles. She seemed bent, aged, perhaps her fifteen centuries were finally catching up with her. Or perhaps, the reason he could feel his mother's power was as diminished as his was because of Sebastian's betrayal. The eldest fallen Fae in their clan had gone into the Shadows and released his magic into the night instead of returning it to the clan. He had taken the enchanted manor of malaise with him. No longer would Gerard be able to lure the pure of heart into surrendering or cultivate the succulent harvest of a soul freely given.

"Go away my beloved son, my blessed one, I do not want you to see me like this." Her voice was a thready whisper. Her hair fell across her features as she turned, the hand held up was aged.

"Mother, look at me," Gerard demanded.

Morgana's perfect features remained but the glow of eternal youth was gone. Fine lines creased her brow and around her eyes and mouth. She was still ethereally beautiful in a matured way, but she would never accept her appearance as it was now. Tears ran down her face as she turned away. It made him tremble in anger as he thought, I did this by losing control of the stupid she-wolf and letting her sway the old, lonely demonus against us.

"I will make this right, I promise."

"It is no use, my precious, I am fading. My time is coming to an end. Even your brother could not restore my youth, not that he would. You must never release him, Gerard. You must keep your Blessing as guarded as I have kept the sacred tree." Her voice echoed like distant music. "I feel the light will come for the tree. He will come, he won't be able to resist."

"Your ancient knowledge has almost restored us to our proper place. Using the Dust of Rage only once or twice more will turn all against the wolfen beasts and night walkers. Then, once the humans have turned on them and declared us their only allies, I will do whatever it takes to restore you," he vowed.

"No. You must prepare, my precious," she murmured quietly then hissed hatefully, "That wretched Angelus will come to destroy what you would build for all Demonus. My hands must be ready."

"What are you speaking of, mother?" Her words made no sense to him because Galen hasn't visited her since the night Gerard was blessed, and Galen was cursed. "My brother would not dare come here." He reached out turning her face back toward him. Eyes filled with shadows blink at Gerard then narrowed.

"Not my son the Angelus, my brother the Angelus Merlin Greyson! Merlin knows the dried sap and pollen is used to make the Dust of Rage. He believed all of the Samhain Elm were destroyed when the isle was burned. He will know after what happened that at least one still existed."

"Mother, the clones of the tree worked, let him destroy this one. We have hundreds of them."

"He will know... The grove must be protected at all costs. Is the pollen harvest finished?" She asked, not turning away.

"Yes, Mother, the pollen was collected, and the sap collection will be starting soon." Gerard looked in her eyes, gone was their lethal intelligence, she seemed almost delusional. "You know this, you were there from the spring equinox to Beltane."