The Ice and The Rain

i expected this one to be short, but it is not! :DDD

TWs/CWs: mentions of death, despair, disassociation(?)

(tell me if i've missed any)

**********************************

Dawson:

⠀⠀⠀It was a long time before help came. Dream had sat on the wooden bench of the lifeboat, Ranboo clinging onto his sleeve for over three hours.

⠀⠀⠀Dream also couldn't help the sinking feeling that he had left something on that ship. Ranboo, check. Satchel, check. Money, some of it. Pocket watch? No. Maybe that's what he left.

⠀⠀⠀And no, he's not thinking about the love of his life, Dee had to have made it out.

⠀⠀⠀The air was cold and the hands that guided Dream out of the lifeboat were colder, like long icicles poking and prodding at him and telling him to "move along, there are others waiting."

⠀⠀⠀He followed the second-class family that he and Ranboo had been sitting behind to the middle of the ship with the other second-class passengers. Dream was given a blanket and a bit of bread, which he ended up giving to Ranboo, who had not eaten since that morning.

⠀⠀⠀The boat was packed with people huddled together for warmth.

⠀⠀⠀The boat herself was called the RMS Carpathia and it was deemed their "saviour".

⠀⠀⠀Dream had noticed that none of the boats went back to where the ship sank. They had just sat in the water until help had arrived.

⠀⠀⠀Just as it was on the lifeboat, it was dark, the sky pitch black and the water a dark void.

⠀⠀⠀"Dream?" Ranboo's voice piped up.

⠀⠀⠀Dream's head snapped to the boy beside him and hummed.

⠀⠀⠀Ranboo's head nodded to the man in front of them, "He'd like to- uh..."

⠀⠀⠀"Names, sir?" The man asked.

⠀⠀⠀The man was wearing what the rest of the sailors on the Carpathia were wearing and was holding a clipboard. He also had an umbrella hooked around his elbow.

⠀⠀⠀"Is it going to rain?" Dream avoided the man's question.

⠀⠀⠀The man nodded. "Sometime before we reach New York."

⠀⠀⠀Dream sighed unhappily at the thought of New York. He wasn't ready to go back.

⠀⠀⠀"Names?" The man repeated.

⠀⠀⠀Dream's eyes flicked up to the man. "Dream Dawson and Ranboo Brown," He replied

⠀⠀⠀The man nodded and wrote down the two names on his clipboard. He was about to walk away to move on to the next people when Dream stood up, catching the man's arm.

⠀⠀⠀"Do you have other names?" Dream asked tentatively.

⠀⠀⠀The man nodded. "Yes, but not a full list. If you're looking for someone, you should ask in an hour or two, when we have all the names."

⠀⠀⠀Dream nodded and sat back down, curling into himself for warmth.

⠀⠀⠀"Are you looking for Dee?"

⠀⠀⠀Dream looked over at the boy, whose teeth were chattering and lips were blue. He nodded. Ranboo nodded back before leaning on the older, who wrapped an arm around him. Dream leaned his head to the side, hitting a pole and nodded off.