Stay by my side pt. 3

The window behind Jeongyeon shows large buildings and overlooking of the streets, a wonderful view yet even when she spends most of her days in there, she never has the time to appreciate it - the dreary grey sky, the people and vehicles moving like clockwork below.

She heard the door creak but she never takes her gaze away from the digital screen, her fingers never stopped typing endless reports. And besides, she already knows who the person that entered, she could hear the heels clicking and rustling of papers before they hit her desk.

"Hey uh...Jeong?" Dahyun, a younger girl with much lighter skin than the called woman, Jeongyeon had asked her to drop the honorifics since they both work together for quite a while (despite barely sharing a conversation) and seems like the younger is still getting use to it. "Phone for you." 

She didn't break contact from her computer when she responded, "Have them leave a message for me, thanks." Dahyun nodded even when the older probably didn't see it.

Jeongyeon had found herself doing work more than usual, rather bury herself in work than have to stay in that crappy motel she's staying in, not to mention the humid atmosphere there, it's not like she had any other choice anyways. She took a moment to take a glance at the door once the younger girl had left, don't get her wrong, Dahyun is nice and reliable, too genuine even but she finds no reason to have her close, she needs to be professional after all.

Her eyes wandered around the room as she leaned back on her swivel chair, they landed on the framed picture on the small shelf she kept, she put it there when Jiyeon had mentioned to her how bland her office was.

She released a breath she didn't notice she was holding in then her tensed shoulders lower, a warm feeling spreading in her chest at the sight of both of her two favorite girls. It was a photo she secretly took the first week after Jihyo gave birth to Jiyeon, she remembers telling Jihyo "mom asked to see" when she caught her taking it. Even when that was a lie Jeongyeon still send it to her mom right after.

A knock on her door brought her back, she sat up straight then looked up to see who it was.

"I really think you should take this." Dahyun said when she came back, her voice softer than from a few moments ago.

...

Jeongyeon didn't shed a tear, not because she didn't care but because of how she didn't want to risk the embarrassment from letting these professional service personnel the broken sight of her, not even to Dahyun who was a few steps away from her, the younger insisted to drive her there. 

Every step of the way to her daughter's room, her head was clouded with tons of things on how and what she should do, nearly didn't heard the doctor who was telling her about Jiyeon's current state.

"She's still recovering, the cuts aren't too deep so she'll recover in no time." Jeongyeon nodded slowly, taking every word this man told her, Dahyun put a hand on her shoulder when she noticed that the older was slightly shaking, making their way to her daughter's room once the doctor made his way down the hall - probably back to other duties he has.

Jiyeon was resting peacefully, Jeongyeon didn't want to wake her up, taking note of her appearance. Her small face filled with small cuts that's probably from the window glass, her head wrapped with thick bandages as well as her left leg. 

She quietly dragged a chair nearby then sat on it, Dahyun announcing that she'll be on her way after a few minutes of just the older staring and taking in her daughter's condition, Jeongyeon mumbled a "be careful" that Dahyun nearly didn't heard but once again nodded with a small smile, even when Jeongyeon didn't acknowledge it.