Chapter Sixty-One: Fight in the Labyrinth

"Why did I have to get stuck with you, out of all the members of our team? Does the universe hate me? Was I awful and cruel in a past life? Is this my eternal punishment for all the sins I've committed?" Gray moaned, wedding ring tugging on his hair as he ran his hand through his black locks.

Natsu glared, barely managing to keep his simmering contained. "Can you shut up and stop being such a drama queen? It's not the end of the world, asshole."

"Sure as hell feels like it," Gray muttered, absentmindedly scratching a spot on his bare ribs.

Natsu groaned again. He'd been fighting back the urge to punch Gray all day long, and he wasn't sure how much longer he could stall his hand. He desperately needed a fight. Oh god, what he would give to fight someone right now.

"Can you sense anyone?" Gray asked, attempting to be civil for once.

The Fire Dragon shrugged. "All these walls are really making it hard for me to hear or smell anything other than you." He glared halfheartedly at the Maker mage before continuing. "If we can get to an intersection, maybe that'll help. I dunno, this whole situation is weird."

Gray snorted. "Tell me about it. Squaring off with a guy that's wearing my face is not a situation I ever imagined."

"They don't even really look like us."

"Yeah, they're kinda blurry around the edges."

"It's like if Reedus drew us on people and then messed it up," Natsu agreed. "Don't know how people are getting fooled by them."

"Well, fear's a strong motivator. Not everyone is as mule-headed like you and tries to seek out the most dangerous situation possible."

Natsu grinned. "Hell yeah I do."

"That shouldn't be a compliment," Gray muttered, shaking his head at his friend. "Dude, you're so weird."

"Not as weird as you."

"Oh, that is such a lie."

"Is not!"

"Is too! I can't think of any normal person who plans to propose to their girlfriend after a job fighting a dark guild."

"Hey!" Gray could tell he struck a nerve by the way Natsu dropped his gaze and hunched his shoulders. "It's not weird, is it?"

Gray sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. "I'm just teasing you, man. Honestly, no matter how you do it, she's gonna say yes."

"Is it good enough for Erza's standards?"

"Erza's standards don't matter in your proposal to Lucy. See, this is why you don't ask Erza her opinion on things like this. She has such a narrow window of what's perfect."

"Dude, I know. She shot down literally every idea I had."

"I'm guessing you haven't told her about this plan?"

"Nah. I heard Hargeon and thought that would be a good place seeing as it's where we met." Natsu rolled his shoulders, hand subconsciously dropping to his pocket and wrapping around the small box. The pendant on his bracelet dragged against his palm, and a sharp pang of heat seared his skin. The Dragon Slayer slammed to a stop, dropping the box back into his pocket and clutching at his bracelet.

"Natsu?" Gray turned back, arching an eyebrow in confusion. "What's going on?"

"Bracelet. Lucy's in trouble." The bracelet burned hotter for a second before cooling. Natsu cursed. "Something's going on."

"She'll be fine," Gray reassured him, knowing the panic that set in when Natsu let his worry for Lucy take control. "She's tough."

"Yeah, I know." Natsu rolled his shoulders, clenching his fist around the pendant. "She's probably safer than we are."