XIV

"Every space in the sky"

It had been roughly an hour since our original departure from the Kingdom. Our voyage had been nothing but silence among our men, the only talking we had was between my brothers asking my father a question, or the few careless conversations I heard between the few men that were seated in the war wagons. The way our battalion was positioned had a few knights in front, my father and brothers behind them to keep lead, our carts, and then other warriors on horses behind them. Technoblade and I were seated at the very back to make sure to alert everyone if we were getting attacked from behind and to catch any deserters. The King rode a brown stallion that was shrouded in the finest armor, and sometimes I would catch him mumbling to his horse, which caught my attention. "Hey Techno."

"Hm?" He answered, quickly turning his head in my direction. His tusks just barely poked from his bottom lip. "Yes, Princess?"

I rolled my eyes. "Please don't call me princess, at least not at this moment. Right now, I'm your equal."
"You always have been."

I smiled, glanced away from him, a warmth facing my cheeks. "I was wondering, how are you feeling? War wise." I asked, my hands loosening on the rains on my horse.

He tapped on his hog skull, reaching into the depths of his mind to answer the question. "I suppose I'm alright, I've gone into war before, fighting is second nature to me." He spoke. Weight carried on his voice, spilling out his words. As if there were a river flowing down his throat. "In terms war, the greatest victory is that which requires no battle- but the brain forces someone to irrational places, such as a battlefront." He spoke.

I looked at him, in awe. "So, the perfect way to win a war is to know when to strike and not to strike?"

He nodded. "Correct, although I wish people were all the same so wars wouldn't happen." He sighed out. There was a pause that was followed by a chuckle. "If anything, wars break out because people are too similar and it scares each other. It's not that fear rises from the unknown, fear rises from similarities and a person's insecurities." He explained, taking back his prior statement.

"You're quite the philosopher, aren't you?"

"War is all about how someone thinks, so to know war is to know a person." Technoblade looked down at his hands. I hadn't noticed before, but his nails weren't cut; in fact, they appear to be filed down to be claw-shaped. His face twisted in guilt.

I pulled the reins on my horse to the right, making it saunter closer to Technoblade and his steed. I leaned downwards to get a better look at his expression, worry covered it, yet the shine in his red eyes told me that he wasn't fearful for the battle. "My friend," I spoke in a soft tone. "Are you doing alright?"

He tilted his head to look at me, his eyes sliding along. "I... I just don't want to see you hurt." He said quietly. His voice was so hushed that I could barely hear him, but I didn't need to know what he said. The look he gave me was enough for me to understand his thoughts.

I smiled a bit, looking back down to my horse. "I'll be alright, Techno." I chuckled. "As long as we're together nothing bad will happen."

"When we fought together you got badly wounded."

"What are you talking about?" I leaned back, questioning his words.

Technoblade reached up to his hog mask, pulling it further down his face. "When you and I fought side-by-side, the only thing that came of that was the scar that resides along with your nose and cheek."

I reached up to my face trying to feel for the long-healed wound. My fingers traced along the slightly tighter skin that gathered around the area he referred to. I rolled my eyes. "You and I both know that this faint mark is not because of your actions. There was nothing you could do that you already didn't." I smiled. "You cared for me the best anyone could by having me stay calm and giving me the potion."
He smiled. "How do you always counter my melancholy thoughts?"