CHAPTER II

Knock-knock-knock.

"Ms. Keane?" a muffled voice called in Romanian as the cottage tenant, a man named Alexander "Al" Ulysses Card, rapped on the door. "It is time to go, I think."

Inside her room, Venganza sat on the floor, cross-legged, staring at the scroll. "'Sun is drenched in blood'," she muttered. "'Crimson moon has bled'." She ran a hand through her messy hair. "Tonight, yes? It should be tonight. I can't... wait any longer..."

The scent of blood touched her nostrils. She knew earlier that Al had injured himself during a trip up the mountain, and the smell of his blood had been torturing Venganza all day.

"Ms. Keane?" Al called again. "Are you there?"

Venganza turned to the window, where she could see the sun setting. It blazed scarlet on the horizon, while opposite from it, a blood moon had begun to rise.

"The sun is drenched in blood," she whispered, "and the crimson moon has begun to bleed."

The vampire queen stood abruptly, putting away the scroll and opening the door. "My apologies, Mr. Card," she said smoothly. "But I do believe you're correct: it is time for me to go."

"Yes, thank you." Al nodded graciously. "I am sorry, but my customers, they would not stay here with you."

"I understand. It takes great courage to dwell with a vampire." Venganza walked out of her room and down the stairs with Al close behind her. "Will you accompany me on my journey up the mountains?" she inquired.

Al hesitated before answering, "To... to the place of the Elder Wraith?" He shook his head rapidly. "Sorry, Ms. Keane. I am too cowardly for that. I do my business, you know—gather what I need from the mountains—but I never venture into the snow."

"Very well. Then this is where we part ways." Venganza turned slightly and dipped her head to Al, adding, "For now."

Al frowned as Venganza exited. "What does that mean?" he called as she left the cottage.

-

Venganza made the slow trek up the Apuseni Mountains (literally translated as "Mountains of the Sunset"), the air growing colder as the hours wore on. The sun vanished after a while, with the crimson moon taking its place high in the night sky.

Soon, Venganza reached the boundary where the grass on the mountain became covered with snow. She squinted into the distance, trying to spot any sign of a "dwelling place". It must be up there somewhere, she thought, shielding her face from the whipping winds as she soldiered on. I did NOT come all this way for nothing.

"...must not falter..."

Venganza turned sharply to her right.

A strange, wavering figure, formed from black and red smoke-like energy, was pushing through the snow beside her, struggling up the mountain. It appeared to be a man in his sixties or seventies, dressed in warm clothing and using a staff to steady himself.

"...find the secret path..."

Venganza looked to her left, where another ghost was marching onward. It was the same man, only further up the mountain. "...complete the rite..." the man moaned, his haunting voice echoing across the range.

"Sar'toran," Venganza breathed.

"...find the secret path..."

Venganza cocked her head as more ghosts began appearing, seeming to "glitch" as they wandered through the snow. "'The secret path'," she murmured.