EPILOGUE

SABLE

2020

Phillip didn't understand it.

Over the last year, things had changed in the small town of Sable, Alberta. Passers-by had begun to flock to the location, many of them settling down with the desire to start life anew. The town was revitalized as the newcomers set up shop—in the most literal sense—and tourists started passing through on their way to more popular destinations.

Nancy insisted the change was because of what had happened exactly one year earlier. It was "karma", she claimed, or perhaps "blessings from GOD". Phillip wasn't so sure, but whatever it was, it had ignited the final spark in Sable's heart.

-

Victoria shivered as a brisk autumn wind chilled her to the bone. She smiled, though, as she walked down the road that led through the center of Sable. Christmas decorations had gone up on every storefront as the citizens prepared for winter celebrations. Some called out seasons' greetings to Victoria, which she gladly returned despite how early they seemed.

Eventually, Victoria made her way to the home of the mayor, where she paused and glanced through the window. Her smile grew wider when she saw what was inside: Phillip, Nancy, and their daughter, enjoying a simple home-cooked dinner.

Shaking herself slightly, Victoria rapped on the door before returning her hand to her pocket. The cold wasn't something she was used to anymore, since she'd spent fifteen years immune to feeling changes in temperature.

There was a brief moment of silence before the lock unlatched and the door half-opened.

Phillip's mouth followed, falling half-open when he saw who stood there.

Victoria greeted him with a casual shrug and bright grin. "Hi, Phil."

"Oh my god!" Phillip moved forward, hugging Victoria tightly with shock still written all over his face. "Victoria...!"

Victoria returned the hug, smiling as Nancy rose from the table with her daughter in her arms. "Nancy," she said, pulling away from Phillip and walking up to the woman.

Her face contorted by surprise and elation, Nancy quickly handed the baby to Phillip and embraced Victoria. "You did it?" she breathed. "You really did it?"

"I did," Victoria confirmed, closing her eyes as she hugged Nancy back. She pulled back a bit and held Nancy at arms'-length, saying, "I'm sorry for the way I treated you when I came last year. I was in such a rush..."

Nancy laughed at that, blinking away a tear of joy. "No, it—it's alright. We're fine." She turned to Phillip and gestured toward the baby. Understanding, Phillip handed his daughter to his wife, who gave her a loving look before turning back to Victoria. "This is our daughter," she murmured. "I know you've met once before, but it wasn't really formal."

"Oh, yes! I remember you," Victoria cooed, sticking out her finger and allowing the baby to grab it. "Do you have a name, cutie?"

Nancy's smile grew even more tearful at that.

Phillip walked over to his wife's side and put an arm around her shoulders. "Victoria," he said quietly, giving Victoria a look that spoke a thousand words. "Your goddaughter's name... is Victoria."

Victoria froze, stunned for a long moment. She straightened up slowly and covered her mouth with both hands as tears appeared in her eyes. "No," she said, her voice muffled. "No, I... I don't deserve that..."