Chapter 56: Trust and Rut

About thirty minutes after eating, Lisa, Troy and Maya were fast asleep in the sleeping quarter they were given. Noah stayed with Holly in the waiting area and had yet to hear from Dr. Griffin or Dr. Jackson.

An hour more and the door to the E.R. opened. Abby walked out and signaled to Noah who cradled a sleeping Holly in his arms. He gently laid down his mate and got up. "Yes, Dr. Griffin. How's the Luna?"

"Alive, but in critical condition," Abby said, sighing. "Indeed, she was septic and in shock. We lost her twice but thankfully we managed to get her back. We had to perform a CT scan and an MRI scan. Part of her leg bone was completely shattered in different places. We managed to stop the bleeding but she needs to undergo surgery immediately so we can implant a metal rod that will help her walk again with the aid of physical therapy, of course. Her brain is swollen from the knock. At the moment it doesn't present any signs of an aneurysm but we cannot discard it so fast. We can give her morphine for the inflammation and antibiotics for the massive infection she has," Abby said, then sighed again and added, "Noah, I don't know how that woman is alive but she is."

"Maybe she's not ready to give up yet," Noah told Abby who simply responded, "She's not or else she wouldn't be alive, especially this long."

"Will she be able to survive the surgery? I mean, it sounds like a lot of work and very dangerous," Noah said, slightly biting his lower lip.

"How old is she?" Abby asked and Holly who had woken up and only heard Abby's last question answered, "She's 51 years old. Please save my nomon."

Abby walked towards Holly and placed a hand on her shoulder. "I am going to do everything in my power to make it so but she is seriously ill."

"Holly," Noah said, crouching beside his mate and taking her hand. "Dr. Griffin is the best doc - healer I know. If anyone can save your nomon it's her. You must trust her, please."

Holly, with silent tears falling from her eyes, simply nodded and said, "Thank you, Dr. Griffin. I do trust you, just please do the best you can."

"I will Holly and in the meantime, I suggest that you both get some rest. As we speak, two healers are prepping your mother for surgery that will last for some hours, so it's best to rest so that when we finish, you can spend time with her," Abby stated and Noah responded, "We will, doc, we will."

Five minutes later, Abby left and Noah managed to convince Holly to get some rest. They were escorted to the same sleeping quarter where the others were and found an empty cot where the two of them could lay down and fall asleep.

When Holly opened her eyes, some hours later, she noticed that Noah's siblings were gone. She groggily got out of the cot and noticed it was already sunrise. "Noah," Holly whispered, slightly shaking her mate. "Get up, it's morning. We have to go check on my nomon," she said and he sleepily nodded.

"Okay, I'm up, I'm up," Noah replied, shaking the sleep from his eyes. "The others?" he asked and she shrugged. "I don't know."

They headed straight to Med Bay where they found Lisa only. "Hey, any word?" Noah asked and she answered, "Yes, she's out of surgery and resting. I'll go get Dr. Jackson so he can take you to her."

"Where are the others?" Noah asked and she responded, "Left early this morning to see their mates."

A few minutes later, Jackson escorted Holly and Noah to Erica's room. "How is she Dr. Jackson?" Noah asked.

"She's stable for now. The surgery proved to be a little difficult but we managed to fix her leg bone with the metal rod and the IV drips contain antibiotic and anti-inflammatory medication to help with the infection and swelling. She's still sleeping and will probably start to wake up around midday or a little later," Jackson said and added, looking at Holly, "When she wakes up, she may be disoriented but just talk to her so she knows you're here."