Naughts & Crosses. The Two Whales.

'Don't even answer. We have places to go and... People to do.' I whispered the last part, wary of my mom overhearing.
Max looked to the ground with a guilty look, I didn't want to make her feel bad, I just wanted her to be there with me, just me. It had been 5 years. I mean sure, that's totally selfish but shouldn't I be allowed to be happy for once? Fuck.
'Its Kate Marsh, from Blackwell.' Max replied softly.
Urgh, I couldn't help it, and I hate it, but a giant wave of jealously took over, and sure I started to sound a little angry, but it wasn't at Max. I was mad at myself. Jesus Christ Chloe, Max is allowed to have friends.
'Fine, chat up Kate Marsh from Blackwell, I have other people to hang with too'. Really? Chat up? What am I, 12? Shit, I sounded so childish and jealous but I couldn't help it, I kinda wanted Max all to myself. Something about having her here with me after all this years made me feel so happy and alive, something I hadn't felt for a while. Max picked up the phone.
'Don't let your best friend get in the way.' I sighed. I was acting hella jealous, even I knew that. I know I shouldn't have overreacted so much, I just can't help it. Seeing Max has brought back so many feelings, just seeing herself acting all dorky made my heart do wheelies, just something about her, no, everything excited me, it's such a rush to be with her! It made me feel jealous that this girl from Blackwell had so much attention but it took me 5 years to get just this day out. I know Max didn't mean to leave me, or ignore me, but it still fucking hurt. I sighed.
'Chloe you seriously need to watch your attitude.' My mom walked over, lecturing me again.
'Jeez, I don't even have an attitude! Maybe if Sergeant Pepper would stop being such a-' I was cut off.
'That is it Chloe! He just cares for you, why do you have to be like this? Why cant you just accept that David is part of our family, whether you like it or not, I love him.' She spat.
'But h-' I was cut off again.
?'No buts Chloe! You need to stop thinking about yourself and actually try to get to know him.' She walked away with that comment.
I just wanted to leave by now, I knew that I was looking like an asshole, and kinda behaving like one, but having my mom be angry at me because of my step-douche only made my positivity drop a little more. What if Max doesn't actually like me? What if she's rather hang around with Kate?
'Fuck' I sighed quietly to myself.
'Chill, I'm hanging with you okay?' Max reassured me after finishing her call.
Her comment did actually make me feel somewhat better.
'For now.' I laugh off, still feeling bad about my jealous reaction to Kate calling, but I know Max knows that I don't mean anything by it. It's just how I am, sure, it's not a good thing, but I'm working on it. I just hope Max doesn't leave me again, she's all I have now.