Imagine Nine [Part Two]

"Shehnaaz.." Sidharth called out to Shehnaaz, whilst he opened the door of their room, carrying a big bowl of ice-cream and some spoons. “I got us both some ice-cream for after dinner.”

Shehnaaz smiled. Sidharth walked over to her and set the bowl of ice-cream in her lap. “This one's for you because of the horrible tasting medicine you’ve had to take for the last three days.”

Shehnaaz grinned. “Thank you baby.”

Sidharth wrapped his arm around her and siddled up next to her, pulling her closer. “What were you up to?” 

“I was talking to Maa and I.. just scheduled the doctor's appointment for tomorrow.” Shehnaaz explained.

Sidharth hmm-ed. “What about the reports for today?”  He asked gently. Shehnaaz sighed, leaning against Sidharth and whispered in a small voice. “The doctors say the results are better. I don’t feel better.”

Sidharth pressed her lips firmly to the side of her head. “You are getting better, little bean. The doctor knows better than both of us.” He said comfortingly.

“I don’t want to be poked with needles and drained of blood everyday. I’m tired.” She whisper-whined. 

Sidharth’s heart pained at the genuine note of exhaustion in her voice. “I know sweetheart. I know you’re tired but you are so much stronger, aren’t you?” He asked, rubbing the back of her arm.

“I miss mumma.” She said quietly.

“She’ll be here tomorrow.” Sidharth assured her. 

She chuckled. “I know.” 

***

The next morning, Sidharth walked into the hall with his mother, sister and niece to see Shehnaaz sitting on the couch, standing in front of her were her doctor and a nurse, working quietly and quickly on taking some blood from her arm for running tests. 

He froze, surprised at how utterly calm and composed she looked, sitting on the couch and watching the nurses work in complete silence.

He exchanged a surprised look with the ladies. 

“I am late.” He exclaimed. “I didn’t realise you guys would be here so soon.”

Shehnaaz gasped, looking at Sidharth utterly bewildered. “Tu kab aaya-- Mumma!!”

Shehnaaz’s eyes practically lit up the second she saw Rita Maa and Preeti Di standing beside Sidharth. 

“Tu toh batati hi nahi hai ki tabiyat kharab hai.. Kal phone nahi karti toh?” Maa scolded Shehnaaz.

“I didn’t want to ruin your trip.” She said quietly.

Preeti frowned. “Yeh kya logic hua?” 

Shehnaaz pouted. “Sorry.”

Just as Sidharth and his mother  walked up to her, the nurses started to pack up. “The reports will be in by the evening. Keep taking the medicines and plenty of rest. You’ll be back to troubling everyone here in no time.”

Shehnaaz giggled softly. “Can’t wait.” 

Dr Nandita then turned to Sidharth. “Her platelet count is up and she’s starting to recover, but the recovery is slower than we anticipated. Bring her to the hospital tomorrow if something happens or I will visit around this time. Whatever suits you best.”

“Thank you doc.”

“Anytime. 

***