New Beginnings

"Finally, after all my years at the foundling hospital, this was my new beginning. I was only a few miles from the hospital, on the heaths of London, but to me, we were travelling to a whole other world. I'd left my past with Matron behind. It felt like, here, nothing would ever hurt me again. I knew, at last, I would find a way to see my mother. I was free...Well, as free as a servant could be."

Series 3, Episode 9"Well it's just us here, as you can see"

Series 3, Episode 9
"Well it's just us here, as you can see"

Emma had worked at Calendar Hall for a while now. And even though she worked there as a maid, she always felt at home with all her friends there. Even the Calendar's were nice enough at times. She never complained if they were ever a handful though because she knew there were worse places to be.

Today was yet another special day at Calendar Hall. There were new servants arriving from the foundling hospital and the whole house was busy with chores, preparing for their arrival. Emma had been so excited she had nearly caused an accident while serving breakfast to the Calendar's, receiving a scolding from Mrs Penhaligon.

Soon enough a carriage pulled by a horse came to a halt in front of the house. Mrs Penhaligon, Agnes and Emma exited the house to greet them. Emma never liked Mrs Penhaligon, she was so stern and was always giving her opinions when no one asked. Agnes was nice once you got to know her. Emma didn't like her at first but the two were now friends.

Three people emerged from the carriage, two girls and one boy. They all seemed to be absorbing the scenery, the place where they will now call home.

Mrs Penhaligon interrupted their small moment of awe and said "So, you're our foundlings. I'm Mrs Penhaligon, housekeeper. From now on you will report to me. This is Calendar Hall. Welcome to your life in service." With that she turned and entered the building, the foundlings following close after.

They all filed into the front hall, the foundlings gawping at the beauty of the house. A small smile appeared on Emma's face, she had been the same when she first arrived.

"Your name?" Mrs Penhaligon stated, staring directly at the red haired girl.

"Hetty Feather." she replied with a small curtsy.

"I'm Sheila, Sheila Ormsby." interrupted the girl to the right of Hetty, "Trained to the highest level, with exemplary kitchen skills and an excellent shortcrust pastry," she carried on, "I waited on governors too and served luncheon in the dining hall. Upstairs or downstairs, I'll fit in perfectly." she finished with a small smile. Emma and Agnes shared a small glance. She really shouldn't of done that.

"Sheila," Mrs Penhaligon started, "My staff speak when they are spoken to." She then shifted her gaze to the boy. "And you?"

"I'm Gideon, ma'am"

"You will each serve Mr Calendar and his wife to the best of your ability." Mrs Penhaligon spoke again, "Likewise, his daughter, Miss Emily. Master Edwin is not in your care and Miss Constance, we leave to the nursery maid. Your work starts now."