Five: Panic Attack

I'm surprised to hear my phone buzzing in my pocket a couple hours later. Perplexed, I check it.

Hi, Blade. This is Dustin. Just sending this text so you can save my #. Let me know when you're free to work on the paper.

I stare at the words. I had completely forgotten that had given him my number. I didn't think he was actually serious.

After writing and deleting the text several times, I finally decide on Hi, Dustin :) I'll keep you posted.

From Dustin

I feel like texts will be the only place I'll get a smile XD

I don't know what to say so I don't respond. Instead, I go back to my homework, trying to finsih it while also keeping an eye on Faith. She's on the floor beside me, her toys sprawled out around her. She can't quite crawl yet, but she loves sitting and playing. Especially if her toys make noise which is proving to be more irritating than cute as she excitedly shakes her rattle.

As she grows more irritable, I pick her and get her ready for bed. Happy to have some quiet as I finish up my work. I sigh deeply when I look at the mess on the ground. I'm tired and my back hurts from my bad posture abd bruises; still I pick up the toys before going to bed.

****

My alarm blares on my nightstand which makes me groan loudly. It's the first time in weeks that my alarm goes off before Faith does. I pull myself out of bed, wincing at the jabs of pain that accompany moving.

Thankfully, there are no bruises on my face. Life may suck but at least I don't have to do any extra work my concealing bruises on my face.

I wake Faith up who yawns cutely as she stretches in her crib. I pick her up, walking around with her so she doesn't fall back asleep. After we're both ready for the day, I head out.

"Hi, B," Sandra gives me a smile as I enter the daycare. She takes Faith, cooing at her causing the baby to giggle. She turns to me. "Have a nice day."

I sign Thank You to her before leaving.

English is my first class, and I am surprised when Dustin sits next to me.

"Good morning." He gives me a smile.

I stare at Dustin apprehensively. He has been perfectly nice to me. Almost too nice, but as much as I appreciate his kindness, it's only a matter of time before he turns on me too.

"The project is due next week," Dustin starts, pulling out his textbook. "Can we work on it this weekend?"

I nod, shaking my distrustful thoughts away. I write the words "Meet at the library at 11 a.m?" in my notebook.

He grins. "Sounds good."

The rest of the day is fairly uneventful. Classes drag on. Students talk. My lower abdomen throbs. Just a normal day.

School is almost nice when no one physically assaults me. I mean, they are still saying mean things, but I'm somewhat un-bothered. Being touched in any way would probably cause me to combust.

I tense when I see Josh and Alice walking down the hall. They are accompanied by Jordan and Dya (Alice's two best friends). Classes are over, but the halls are still crowded with students heading to their respective extra-curriculars. I figure I'm safe. They won't bother me when they have places to be.

Of course I'm wrong.

"Look! The town's favorite mute," Alice teases with her favorite phrase. She points a manicured hand at me for a theatrical effect.

Her crew snickers, Jordan adding in, "She can't even save herself. Needed some emo to come help her."

Josh's nostrils flare at the mention of the fight. His nose is still patched up from being broken several days ago. He got hit good, and I can't help but feel a bit of triumph seeing him like that. The feeling doesn't last long though. My mind is quickly switching into panic mode as they get closer.

Please leave me alone.

As much as words hurt, I still prefer it over constant physical abuse.

Dya taps her cheek in thought. "Well, I don't see the knight in shining armor around now," she smirks. "Let's show her how we deal with bitches who step outta line."

Two of Josh's teammates appear from nowhere and lift me off the floor by my arms. Gasping, I start thrashing to break free.

"No use," Dya smirks.

I ignore her, continuing to try to break free, but they have an iron grip on my arms. Panic arises within me, making me feel helpless.

The relief I feel when the boys drop me to my feet is short lived. Alice approaches me - a sinister smile stretching across her lips. My breathing becomes erratic again when I realize where I am.

The girl's bathroom.

I panic, unable to breathe. Tears sting my eyes as I try to find my breath again.

Three things I can see.

Three things I can hear.

It's not working.

Alice and her friends laugh at me and I panic more as the anticipation of what they're going to do to me settles in.

"Well... see you around, weirdo." And just like that. They walk off, leaving me to calm myself down from a panic attack.