Nine: Big Brother

Dustin

Moving to a new town in the middle of the school year wasn't easy but it was for the best. I understand why we had to, but I still find myself getting frustrated with being the new guy. I had spent a major part of my school life being the new kid. Being isolated. It brought up too many familiar feelings that I would rather forget. Some days I find myself spiralling when I'm reminded of the days I used to be picked on and laughed at.

I'm not doing a good job at making friend here. I mean, I was barely here for a full week before I started throwing punches and landing my ass in detention. I don't care though. I wasn't going to stand by and watch someone get bullied. Especially after what Miriam went through.

Watching Blade be treated as the outcast brought up too many unpleasant memories. She's invisible yet everyone saw her. They see her as an outsider. Someone who didn't belong.

Most of my life I had felt the same way.

I could see she tries to go unnoticed. She keeps her head down, doesn't look anyone in the eye, but that doesn't matter. Assholes will be assholes and make a point of being shitty.

I've seen it before. Experienced it before.

School was never something I was good at. I'm not failing by any means, but I have to work a little harder to keep my grades from slipping. I have never had a hard time making friends but in this town, not even being the funny guy puts me at an advantage.

I miss many things about my old life. My friends, the skate park, but I was happy to give it up, and I'd do it again and again if it meant helping Miriam.

She's my little sister, and I'd do anything to protect her.

"How many books could you possibly need?" I ask exasperatedly. Miriam needs yet another ride to the bookstore. This is the third time this week she has asked me to drive her there.

She rolls her eyes. "Weren't you going that direction anyway?"

"No. I wasn't." I am, but I always have to give Miriam a hard time. It's a must as her big brother.

She whines again, pouting at me pathetically. I sigh, giving her an unimpressed look. "I can't wait until you get your license."

Her face breaks into a grin. "Me too. Now let's go!" She tugs my arm and I let her drag me down to my car.

The truth is: I love driving Miriam around. I like that she needs me because most days, I feel like she grew up way too fast. Miriam has her phone hooked up to the aux and I resist the urge to bop my head to the K-pop that is flowing through the speakers. I always tell her that she has crap music taste, but we both know I enjoy it. My playlists are still better though.

"What happened with that girl you invited to dinner?" Miriam asks me.

My parents were pissed at me for getting into a fight on my second day at a new school, but when I explained the situation, they mellowed out. They had insisted I invited Blade over for dinner, not liking the sound of someone getting picked on. After what Miriam went through, bullying is a sore topic for my family.

I shrug not sure how to answer her. "She couldn't make it." More like she was probably freaked out I invited her to my house after knowing her for 5 minutes.

"I hope she's okay."

"Me too." I decide to change the subject, worried Miriam might spiral if she thinks too much about it. "What book are you looking for?"

"The Poisonwood Bible. Someone online recommended it. She says it's a favorite of hers."

"Tell me about it after?"

She smiles. "Always big brother."

***
Thank you for reading ♡