4 | Big River

Soon we get to the small town and get out of the car

Soon we get to the small town and get out of the car. "Where are we?" Dan asks.

"Corner of bumfuck and you got a purty mouth." Jerry says before saying he wants to make a call, so Dan says to use his phone so he does. Tom and Dan go to check out the canoe situation.

"Can I use that after you?" I ask Jerry as he was talking to Denise.

"Of course, Park." He smiles then goes back to talking to her. I listen to their conversation but mostly his side since she doesn't talk loud.

"Thank you." I take the phone and call Rick.

"Who is this?" He answers.

"Hey, baby, it's me." I force a smile as the guys watch me.

"Where the fuck are you? I get home just to see a letter saying you went to a funeral?!" He shouts at me.

"You left for work and I didn't want to bother you. I know how you are at work, honey." I try to explain to him.

"I'm sorry, you're right. Are you on your way home?" He asks calming down some.

"No, not yet actually. Me and some friends are actually going on a small trip for a few days then I'll be back. I promise." I tell him.

"Who's your friends? Is it the guys you are seeing behind my back?!" He yells and I guess the guys heard that.

"No, the funeral I went to was one of the guys, it was Billy." I explain while he just keeps yelling.

"Hang up on him." Tom walks up to me and try to tell him to shut up.

"That was a guy! Who are you with!" He yells at me.

"I told you friends!" I shout at him.

"Parker, end the call." Tom snatches the phone from me. "Listen Dick Rick, you keep treating our girl bad, I'll make you wish you never laid a hand on her or raised your voice at her." Tom ends the call.

"Are you fucking kidding me! Tom, do you know what you just did! He's going to kill me when I get home!" I hit him.

"Tom, you shouldn't have done that. You heard how he is." Jerry agrees with me.

"After this trip when we find the money, Parker will have enough for a good lawyer to leave him and press charges against him." Tom sighs as police sirens go off.

"Hiya, boys and lady. Nice day. Just, uh, passing through?" The sheriff asks us.

"No. We're actually from UPS. Looks like someone ordered a set of teeth." Tom tells him.

"Pardon me?" He asks.

"Taser guns. Dropping them off. Anyways..." Tom stops.

"So help me out here, boys. Where was it you said you was headed?" He asks us and Dan almost says everything so we shut him up. Jerry just tells him we're taking a day trip up Spirit River and he was telling us it's pretty thick up there.